Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Electronics.....WOW!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jawzzz, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    On January 25th I sent my WP-100 Navigator Pre-amp back to Eden to be repaired. It suddenly was losing volume and becoming distorted. I bought it off of E-bay a year ago as store demo model and was not sure about the warranty. While getting the RA#, the CS rep punched it up, and the store I bought it from (Electric City Music) had sent in the warranty card.

Well I was expecting to get a phone call later this month telling me that since I am the second owner, the warranty does not apply and I would have to pay $X amount to have it repaired. I was also pretty sure that I would not see my navigator till about mid March.

Five minutes ago the doorbell rings and it is UPS with my Navigator! Two weeks and it is already back to me. The invoice inside says that they replaced the rear jack board and tested it.

I just have to tip my hat to Eden Electronics. Excellent customer service. :hyper: :)

2. Sweet :D

I'm also curious (read: GAS) about getting my grubby claws on the Eden Navigator. I currently run an old SWR SM-500s which I like (don't get me wrong), but the unknown is always tempting... :ninja:

What does the Navigator sound like (compared to the sterile + bright top end SWR)? Do you use all the knobs much, or simply dial in your sound & leave put?

3. Yes I agree that Eden has excellent customer service.
    I had a 210 xst that was blown by an amp that had an internal arc on the board. It fried the cab to the point of smelling like fish.
    I took it in to the local music store I bought it from, they sent it to the local eden repair centre and I had it back good as new within a couple months. [forget the exact length]
    The whole time I was worried that I would not be able to get it fixed as it was the amps fault, but they fixed it for free with zero hassle. They never even asked what happened.

Michael.

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I agree! I remember when Eden was bought out by Washburn that there were some customer service concerns. Not in my experience at all-in fact, it has even improved.

Lync

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll chime in too! Eden does have excellent customer service. The couple times I called, I was able to speak with David Nordschow, "Mr. Eden". He talked amps and cabs with me for an hour one afternoon. Barb and Mike are also excellent people to deal with.

They replaced a part that was out of warranty, and shipped it FedEx overnight to me......I had to pay nothing. I even asked for a set of side handles for my cab, and they threw those in for free!

-Mike

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado

IMO the Navigator can sound like any amp you want. I love how versatile it is. As stated in many other threads about Eden, you only have to turn the knob a little to get a good sound. I also like how I can blend the "tube" in the mix however I want.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    very cool on the C/S!!!

compared to SWR, eden sounds "warmer" with a not so "sterile" sound. I think the eq bands might be set a little wider as well - (at least that's how it sounded to me).

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I walked my Eden Nav pre in the factory for a repair and it was repaired INSTANTLY and had it back within an hour. (cue "can touch that") I agree the Eden is warmer than SWR as well. Great EQ section. Flexible. Good products, can't go wrong really. Its a different flavor on bass amplification as are all the others of course.

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Thanks for ruining my excitement tonenazi! I thought I was so special for getting it back in two weeks.:p :D

I guess I should of been more detailed on my description. I agree with the above posts that the Eden is much warmer sounding than the SWR heads. Some have described it as "wooly" or has "growl" to it. I think that the tube blend knob has a major effect on the sound. With no tube in the mix, it can sound "sterile", but not too harsh like the SWR. With the tube all the way on, it kind of gives you an Ampeg like "growl" without missing all of the mids like Ampegs do.

As for the EQ, the tonal possibilities are endless. As I said before,a little goes a long way. I especially like the semi-parametric mids (low,mid,high). This gives your tone infinite possibilities. I don't use the Enhance feature much because I don't feel it is needed. It boosts your high and lows while slightly cutting the mids. I really like a midrange "growl" so enhance is not for me. YOMV.

On top of all those tone features, you all get a bi-amp function,compressor,effects blend,DI level,aux level,and turbo boost.There stereo DI outs, recording outs,three different effect loops, and a tuner out. With all of this, this makes this the best,most versatile pre-amp on the market IMO.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I love the aux input/aux level on my Nav. I plugged my NS upright through the aux input, and it allowed me to use my stage rig to amplify my upright, without having it go through the amp's DI out along with my bass (I used a Radial JDI box with the upright, so it could be EQ'd separately thru the PA).

I keep the enhance knob off as well, to preserve midrange cut with the band. Solo, it sounds better with a little enhance on, but with the band it sounds better in the mix with it off.

I never liked the tube enhance with the original tube, but with a Mullard tube, a 9:00 setting can't be beat for grunt.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a great experience with Dave Nordshaw, also. It took me forever to get in contact with him, as this was right during the crux of the buyout. But once I got in contact, he was extremely helpful and replaced both drivers in my 212XLT for free. My cab was out of warranty, but the problem I described was a manufacturing defect associated with a limited run of cabs, so Dave replaced them for free. Great guy.

I also find my Navigator to be very versatile. I went into a store looking to buy either an F-1X or a Demeter 201s, but after hearing the Navigator, I found that I could come close to the tones of the other two preamps, but I could also dial in a whole host of other good useable tones. With the Alembic and the Demeter, I felt more like they had just one really good tone (which I definitely liked), but didn't sound as good when I experimented with different settings.

I have never experimented with different tubes in my Navigator, but I probably should, just for kicks...