Eden, Epifani, and farts...please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Aug 29, 2003.

1. sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Last night was the first chance to play my Modulus Flea 4-string through my newly purchased Eden WT-550 and two Epifani T-110ULs in a gig situation. In the soundcheck -- and granted, I was pushing the volume pretty hard -- I was getting some farting from the lower notes and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I think part of the culprit may be the electronics on my Modulus. It's an 18-volt Bartolini system (I also ordered it with an extra jazz pickup up top) and I know that the bass and midrange pots have always been really stong...in fact, even with my old rig (GK 800RB plus two Aguilar GS-112s), I never really ran these pots higher than the center detente (which I believe would be neutral on an active system).

Again, volume was loud and the Eden was set flat with the exception of the "Enhance" knob...which was around 11 o'clock (and this may have contributed to the problem a bit as I know it boosts some lower frequencies). My bass and mid pots on the Modulus were at neutral, and again, this is where the farting was occurring. I finally backed the bass and mid knobs down pretty much all the way and this eliminated the problem.

So...I know I'm pushing the limits of things with a two-10" setup, but does anyone have any advice on how to avoid this? Is it simply common sense and keeping these lower, boomy frequencies to a minimum since I'm just running two small cabs? Is the 18-volt system too strong and/or should I be pulling out the initial "Gain" knob on the amp to engage the -12db input? Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're probably just clipping your amp.

Either get a bigger amp, don't play so loud or roll off the EQ until the farting goes away.

No free lunch when trying to play really loud through smaller speaker cabinets.
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    no free lunch meaning, you need more power or give up on gettin the volume he needs.

( i am having the same problem with a stingray a 2x10 and a 400s.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Or more speakers. No matter how much power you pour in, there's still a practical limit to how much air you can get a pair of little speakers to move. I'm not saying a bigger amp couldn't help, just saying that more power without more speaker won't always get you as far as you need to go.
  5. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I've had problems with my 2 Eden 1x10's farting on some gigs. My solution was to stop bridging my QSC RMX850 (850W into 4 ohms)and run in stereo (200w each side into 8 ohms)and replace the blown crossover bulbs.

I realise this is not totally applicable in your case but I've not had a problem since. Still doesn't shift as much air as my 410XLT though.
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    um...you're playing through 10 inch speakers...
    i'ts a bass...what don't you understand?
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
  8. Ummm... Huh?

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've found that most of the times I've delt with farting,it was because I was underpowering the cabs i.e.....the dreaded Acme fart;) But two tens can only do so much, unfortunately for some gigs you have to move more air.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

SFB, like we discussed in an earlier email, you're NOT gonna get the same volume you got with your pair of Aguilar 1x12. no matter how efficient the Epi pair of 1x10's are, they cant compete volume wise with the 1x12's. its just not happenin'.

you'd be MUCH better off with a pair of Epifani 2x10 ultralite's, which are about as light as the GS112's, but unfortnately, VERY expensive.

thusly, the farting is occuring, cause you're prolly pushing the speakers just waaaaay too hard.
  11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Their underpowered for sure. But you would have the same problem with any high quality cab that is rated at 300-up. Your amp really only push's somewhere in the 400 range! If its rated at 550 at 4 ohm's then your give it realistically about 200 watts a speaker. They will handle much more power then that and need it to really drive the amp. To many times people under power their cabs. Always have more power in the amp for headroom then what the cab will do....thats if you want the best performance.
  12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    so is there a difference between "i need more power fart? and "your're about to blow me up fart"?
  13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

one has a little more impact then the other :eek:
  14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    actually there really is a difference. Over power is a cleaner pop on the speaker and over extends. a under power fart is more distorted and floppy pop by the speaker.