Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden EQ suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 24, 2003.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm going to try out a Wt-400 and a 410-XLT at my local music store this week.

This will not be the amp I'm going to purchase (thinking about looking into a metro - trying to get a feel for the amp rather than the cab)

anyways as giddy as I am about purchasing this new amp I'm really not fimiliar with how to get some of those good tones that eden is known for.

I know that the good are many and the bad are few but I'd like to go into the shop knowing what I'm doing.

Any suggestions on settings that would suit me?

my bass: Fender Geddy Lee sig

my style: rock, R&B, progressive and slap

Artists sounds that I like: victor wooten, marcus miller (eg. donald fagen - night fly), michael manring, anthony jackson (eg. donald fagen - night fly)

sounds that I'm looking for:
    - something that produces rich and clear harmonics
    for playing 12th, 6th and other types of harmonics

- warmth while keeping a smooth growl
    main tone I like to get

- punchy and rich with a bit of bite
    for slap

- lively and articulate
    another tone I like getting for playing pretty much for any style - I also like to combine any of the above tones with this one to allow for clarity when cutting through a thick sound on stage.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I always found that a WT400 (and all the Eden heads, really) sounded best with everything pretty much set flat. I also found they sounded better with a passive p/u bass than one with active p/u's. You seem to have given a lot of thought to what type of sounds you want to go for. Your best bet is to get the amp and just experiment. The WT400 was, for me, the best sounding amp in the Eden line. Good luck.

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I generally keep mine at noon across the board. The enhance knob moves between 10 and 2 o'clock depending on the sound I want. I occasionally give a couple clicks of bass shelving for reggae. It's a WT-600.

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    I have to agree with the above. My WT-400, to my ears, generally sounds best totally flat.

The bass or treble may get a little tweak depending on the room I am playing in, and depending on my mood, the enhance knob might get a little use, but one of my favorite things about Eden, is how good they sound without much tweaking.

One thing I will warn you about. The adjustments are VERY sensitive on the Eden heads. If you are going to tweak with the treble, bass or eq, a little turn goes a long way.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The good thing about running EQ flat(ish) is that you can then use it to fine tune your sound to your preference. Many people need EQ heavily just to get a good starting point, which of course leaves no room for tweaking.

My motto, start flat and then trust your ears.

But you may want to look up parametric EQ's before you go to the store. From memory Eden amps have semi-parametric EQ don't they?

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    here's a cut and paste from a post i gave to somebody asking the same thing on the dudepit

-heres what i do with my wt800. i set the enhance at around a little lower than 9 oclock. i find that setting it there takes out some of the boom without scooping out the sound like the higher settings do. next i cut the bass shelving by a couple of clicks. then i boost a bit at 12k on the semi parametric. i use this setting most of time with the amount of treble boost depending on the room with a fretless f bass 5 and a fodera 5. crisp defined sound that is one of my favorites for what i do.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep. Set 'em all at noon, zero the enhance. Start playing, gradually turning the enhance knob up until it sounds bitchen to your ear. Add bass shelf and/or mid (at 800 hz) until it sounds mo' bitchen. You're there. Always remember, with Eden EQ, a little dab'll do ya.

8. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    boogiebass:

I thought that the eden would give a nice colour to my passive - I'm actually love passive basses better than active (maybe it's because I've only played through only a few decent preamps but eh, I still love passive - you always gotta dig in giving you that room to allow your fingers and the real tone of the bass to do some talkin')

anyways

Petebass:

amen.

9. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    would someone be able to tell me what frequency brings out harmonics the best?

thanks for the advice guys

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How long is a piece of string? It will vary depending on the bass, the finger style of the player, the spekeaker cab, and even the room acoustics.

Trust your ears. Don't be affraid to experiment.

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have the EQ on my WT 300 adjusted pretty broadly. If I remember correctly... Bass at 1 o'clock, Low Mid at about 10:00, Enahance at 2:00, Mid at 1:00, High Mid at 1:00, Treble at flat, and the parametric knobs are all over to different extremes. I can't remember where exactly. I also run a Sans Amp with my set up as well. I found it necessary to EQ the Eden very differently when it was incorporated.

12. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    A bit off subject but... Is the Navigator pre rackmoutable? On all the pics I've seen, I haven't seen rack ears.

13. I have a Navigator, it has rack ears you have to put on yourself - cant remember if I had to pay extra for them?

I also run my Nav EQ settings at noon (flat) and then adjust the enhance for the room, with the occasional bass boost (and I mean like one click only).

Perfect.

BTW, I just got a 410XLT and its killer. It replaced my 115XLT, which wasnt doing much for me. So now I have 6x10's if needed :D

14. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I see some of you describe keeping the enhance at noon or so. That works fine on my SWR amp, but on the Eden, that's pretty radical.

What happens when the enhance is set that high? I think that 9 o'clock is plenty for that knob.

Tornadobass

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Mine came with the ears on and wasnt an option so Im guessing its standard, and not something extra you pay for. It also came with the footswitch.

Peace
    Nick

16. QUSP

QUSP

Aug 8, 2002
    Hercules, CA
    Using my WT800, I usally turn my parametric knobs all the way up. Bass, Lows and Mids are flat while highs and treble are at about 1 o'clock. The enhance knob is usually at about 1 o'clock. Everything else should be controlled from your bass and u should be good to go.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What?

18. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Concur (WT-400 here). I call the enhance the "suck" knob. I keep it zeroed except for slap, and then it's only at 9:00. I can't imagine turning it past noon.

I have to roll off the bass a little though, at 11:00. Between my preamp and the Aggie cabs, 12:00 is just too boomy. I've recently begun boosting the "low" to 1:00, and like the result. On my bass, I have the the pups panned about 1/4 turn towards the bridge, treble OFF and bass boosted about a quarter turn. Cab tweeters are OFF for finger style, since I have the noisiest fingers on the planet. It's taken about year to settle on this, but I'm really digging it. I have officially gone "farty." :)

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Here are my settings:

Bass: 1:30
    Low: ~110Hz @ 1:00
    Mid: ~800Hz @ 12:45*
    High: ~1.5kHz @ 1:15
    Trebble: 12:00

Enhance is usually off, but since I have the Navigator preamp that has the footswitch, I use it as an effect and have it set around 12:45.

I recently began using the compresor alot more. I have the Threshold knob set to about 11:45, and the Ratio knob set to 1:15. My gain is set around 8:00, but the output of my L-2500 is very high and I can easily clip the pre. I use the compressor as a hard limiter sometimes, but just like I use the enhance footswitching I do the same with the compressor and use it for time where im digging in very heavily.

Peace
    Thor

*Thanks Munji, I decided to try boosting at that point after reading this thread and it gave me just what I was looking for.