Eden EX112 with GK MB200 vs Traynor Dynabass 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by isaiahf, Oct 31, 2016.

1. isaiahf

isaiahf

Oct 19, 2016
    Hi,
    I'm in search of a new amp to play small-medium sized gigs with a cello and upright bass.
    At the moment the two most enticing amps for sale in the area are an Eden EX112 cab with a GK MB200 head ($500) and a Traynor Dynabass 200 combo ($250).
    I mainly play jazz, and some gigs are more avant-garde leaning so I would have to cut through a loud drummer.
    Since it would be for cello too, it would be nice to have something that can do a decent job with high frequencies.
    Does anyone have experience with either of these amps to help me decide which would be best?
    Thanks a million!

2. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I own an EX110 and MB200 which I use with my electric basses for more acoustic/jazz type stuff. The EX112 and MB200 would be an equally excellent combination, if not a touch fuller in the low end and able to get a bit more volume. These are whizzer cone style cabs with no separate horn/tweeter. That having been said I find them to be voiced well for bass and not at all dark - albeit you won't get super bright, sparkling highs.

I like Traynor equipment - although I do not own any at the moment. As I recall, the 200 is 15" loaded cab with a piezo type tweeter that can be defeated with a switch. I suspect that the Traynor will sound very nice, but I'm not a fan of piezo type tweeters in bass cabs in general. This would leave me with the single 15 which is likely voiced more toward lows and mids unless I activate the tweeter.

Without hearing them side by side, my preference would be the EX112 and MB200. YMMV!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    Both will do the job in a similar manner. The GK/Eden might be a more versatile and ultimately more long term investment.

Al Kraft likes this.
  4. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I have always felt that Traynor was top notch and only wish it was more readily available in the US where I live. It was around in some private music shops many years (actually decades) ago, but it'is rare to see these days.

To the best of my knowledge, Traynor has never compromised on quality with any of their products, even the more beginner/entry level gear. The Traynor name carries a lot of weight with me as a brand that has been true to its roots.

5. These both may fall short of; "have to cut through a loud drummer", just my thought. I have used a pair of Eden 112's with 600 watts, sounds great, but a loud drummer is difficult to deal with.

Mark

Al Kraft likes this.
  6. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Barefaced One10, Super Compact or Big Baby2 with a GK MB500 would bury a drummer (and most of the band) if need be and still be very compact and portable. It's pricier, but might actually provide a more PA like sound for the cello versus having a bass amp voicing.

7. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I use two Eden EX112's and a GK MB500 at times and it'll get pretty darn loud! Like... giggable with two guitarists and loud drummer in a small venue loud. BUT!... I'm also using electric basses that have a very HOT output. YMMV with URB.

8. isaiahf

isaiahf

Oct 19, 2016
    Thanks everyone!
    So Al, in terms of the whizzer vs. tweeter, you prefer the whizzer for basses, but would the tweeter make more sense for use with a cello to get those higher frequencies?

9. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not an expert in speaker cab voicing or cellos, but I'll give you an engineer's perspective. IIRC, the cello essentially sits most prominently (fundamentals and strongest or most significant harmonics/overtones) in the frequency band from around 60-70 Hz on the low end up to around 1KHz. There are clearly harmonics above that and some perhaps that make a subtle timbre difference even as high as 8Khz. However, I would guess a lot of the really significant harmonics are over by the time you get past the 3-5 KHZ range.

Mandatory disclaimer: Let me now say that driver size and type are virtually insignificant when it comes to voicing a cab. The design of the drivers themselves and how they are matched to the cab design with its crossover if it has one (as a total system) are 98% or more of what gets you the final result. What I'm going to say next relates specifically to the EX110 speaker as I hear it and what I might expect of the Traynor 15 and piezo tweeter combination.

Given that the 10" driver with a whizzer cone should easily do a credible job of producing frequencies up to 3-5 KHz, I would say that you might actually have a better/more natural representation of a cello with that single driver than you would with a two driver system. The transition from a single 15" driver voiced for bass to a piezo tweeter for upper mid and high frequencies may leave you a slight weak spot/less smooth transition in your mid range and/or an overly brighter top end than you'd want for a warm seamless kind of sound.

That is strictly my opinion based on how I hear things and there is boatload of room for other equally or more valid points of view. I think well designed whizzer type cones are able to hit a sweet spot for acoustic instruments that is harder (not impossible, especially for folks like Jim Begantino) to do seamlessly with multiple driver systems, particularly when the drivers are significantly different from each other and their transition points fall in your key harmonics range.

I hope that's helpful...sorry it was so long!

isaiahf and Chauffer like this.
  10. Al Kraft

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Let me add that the specs you'll see at the Eden site show the EX110 and 112 cabs with frequency responses at or over 12 KHz. I'm not sure how they are measured or how many dB down you would be at those frequencies, but would argue that my comfort level on at least hitting the key cello frequencies with a 10"or 12" whizzer cone in one of their cabs is probably warranted.

isaiahf likes this.
  11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Here's a frequency response graph from Eminence for the B102 10" whizzer cone that they sell. It shows strong response out to 5 KHz and useful response out to maybe 8KHz, and that's plenty of top end before you get into hiss territory, IMO. Eminence also sells a whizzy 12 but I didn't look it up. Eminence makes Eden's speakers. ;)

Legend_B102.png

Al Kraft and isaiahf like this.
  12. isaiahf

isaiahf

Oct 19, 2016
    Wow thanks so much everyone!!!
    Definitely going for the Eden

Mike A likes this.