Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden gain setting??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondiener, May 22, 2001.

1. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

Hey,

Just bought an Eden CXC-1015 C4 Combo (basically an FET version of the WT-400 amp with a 15 & a coaxial 10 in the cabinet.) My question is this: Is it normal to have the gain full up just to get the compressor light to blink once in awhile? I'm using 2 Carvin active basses (with fresh batteries) so there should be plenty of level going in. Also, the 'Set Level' light NEVER comes on. The sound seems OK, but it seems odd I should have to crank the gain full on in order to get the right level.

Any ideas????

Thanks,

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I had a chance to play one of those rigs at GC in Las Vegas, right after GC bought out Musician's Friend. I really dug the tone of that rig. Really punchy but well-rounded. In fact, that's the reason I finally bit the bullet and got a D-115XL to put under my D-210XLT. I love that sound.

Just for what it's worth, I don't think you should have to crank the gain to get the clip light to come on. Make sure your EQ settings are all up around 12 o'clock, plus or minus a little bit. If your EQ knobs are down real low, you could be cutting up to 12 dB of volume in each band. Otherwise, it don't sound right. Call Eden.

3. turn your knob either all the way up, or all the way down© see if the line on the knob matches up wiht the last line on the level thing© That way, when you think its flat, it actuly will be© that might be your problem© be sure to do this with all your knobs©

4. are you sure that the light is not like some kind of peak signal/limiter?

5. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

Muttluk, I checked all the knobs... they all line up the way they're supposed to. Thanks for the suggestion.

There are 3 LEDs on the amp face: E.Q. Clip, Set Level, and one that's not labeled which I'm assuming is the compressor light. The E.Q. Clip light never goes on (which is the way it should be - I usually keep all EQ pretty flat.) The Set Level light NEVER goes on, but the way I understand the manual, it should come on regularly when the gain is set properly. Then the compressor light flickers sometimes when I really lay into it (but only when gain is full up.)

BTW, when the gain knob is at max, I have the master volume at about 2 'clicks' up from minimum for practicing by myself - pretty loud.

I'll keep investigating... thanks for all the suggestions!

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Just for reference, my '74 J bass gets the level light winking at about 3 o'clock on the WT400. Original, passive p/u's. That's with the preamp knob in, of course, not pulled out.

Hey Munji, that Eden D115XL and D210XLT stack is my favorite rig with the WT400. Best tone I've found!

fourstringdrums likes this.
  7. Spector Funk

Spector Funk

May 24, 2001
    I noticed that when I first got my 400 the I'd only get the light when my gain was maxxed, I've now had the amp for about five months and notice it takes much less to get the peak light( gain at like 2 oclock). Well go figure. Hope I didn't waste your time and have fun with that amp, Edens by far the best IMHO.