Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden, gk, hartke & ebs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the captain, Jun 17, 2003.

1. the captain

the captain

Aug 31, 2002
    Tulsa,OK.
    guy need some help. coming into some money next month and want to get a high end rig.am leaning toward eden world tour 800 with the 810xlt or the 410xlt with a 115xlt. also like gk and hartke stuff also ebs. help if you have experence with any of this stuff

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This rig will kill. Get the 4-ohm cabs.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my experiences, if you're looking for true hi-fi, your closest choice among these 4 is EBS. I've played Edens and have found they're nice, but I'm partial to EBS.

I've played Hartkes and GKs as well, but don't find them to be very hi-fi sounding.

4. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I'm never quite sure what you guys on TB consider to be "hifi". EBS and Eden, which are mostly condsidered as "hifi" sound especially merciless to my ears, and I think that high fidelity also implies that the resulting sound is supposed to please. A broad frequency range, and the adequate reproduction of fret noise alone is not exactly what I expect from a high-end system. A certain softness in is also important to play effortlessly. To my ears, none of the mentioned (GK, Eden, EBS) delivers such tone. Hartke is definatly "hifi" sounding IMO: broad range, much clarity and nothing harsh about it's sound.

Discuss! ;)

Johannes

5. I have the Hartke 4.5XL with a 115XL. I've powered it both full range and bi-amp. The 4.5 will give you that (snap) without being (Sienfieldish (new word I think)) if you know what I mean. When you get into rigs of the magnitude you speak of, it's all a matter of taste. A lot of really hi-fi cabs can't get past the edge of the stage. They create so much frequency overlap that the bass gets lost in the kick and guitar. I think just about any of the cabs you mention will work fine for you. Before you drop that much money on them, give them a listen in person.

6. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I think it's a shame that Hartke doesn't offer Speakon jacks (as well as Peavey). If I ever bought one, I'd ask my dealer to install them!

Johannes

7. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    By the way, Grey Beard: I recieved my PLX1202 recently, and I wondered whether you bridge yours when using the 4.5XL or not! Does it handle the power well?

Johannes

8. Yea, I bridge it and the 4.5 hasn't farted yet. Must be feeding it right.:D