1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden heads and Precisions - who's happy with this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm officially an amp whore. I believe I'm on my 5th or 6th in the last couple months. I have my second WT550 now. The first one put out an utterly fantastic sound with my old Lakland JO. Now that I'm back to P-basses I can't seem to find what I liked in the Eden before. It sounds very nice and warm, but not that widely recorded reference I'm accustomed to. Not so open.

Anyone happily using a Pbass with their Eden head/rig? Do you find yourself eq'ing a lot? Any preference between their hybrid and SS stuff?

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    should I take the lack of response as an answer to my question?

3. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Yes. My P is a lightweight, very well-played maple neck '73 with DR Sunbeams that tends to sound quite solid with most any rig (which is why it's my bass of choice if I know I won't be using my own (Eden) rig). With the two bands I play in right now I find myself using my Jazz and Stingray much more, but the P still sounds very authoritative and growly thru my Eden gear.

No. On my WT550 I:
    - boost a click or two at about 120 Hz
    - cut a notch or two of treble
    - bass flat, or cut a little if things are boomy or add if the volume is on the low side
    - set the other knobs to around 550 Hz and 1.2 kHz and cut/boost them however I feel that day; for me 550 Hz is a mid presence and growl, 1.2 is the aggressive/barky frequency

Tone wise I prefer the hybrid, but I also have a WT330 (SS) that sounds very similar, just a bit more refined (I mostly prefer the 550 for its more adaptive EQ as well as the extra juice).

I think what you're referring to here is the P bass with flats and mutes through an old Ampeg B-15.... The bass and your playing technique (plucking closer to the neck than bridge, using the meaty part of your fingers rather than the tips, etc.) go a long way. The thing that I feel sets Eden apart is the definition in the low end - as opposed to a muddy or fuzzy feel to the lows. Eden is a big improvement in that area (to my ears). If you're truly going for that sound, I believe Mr. Elrick is selling an old B15n on bassgear.com right now.