Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Heads: WT-550/400 v. TT-330/405

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys-

I've tried the WT-400 but not gotten a chance to demo a Time Traveller 330 or 405. I've heard good things about the all solid-state Time Traveller. I know these threads are annoying, but I haven't found this kind of a thread via search so here it is.

W

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hey Will,
    I have the TT330, it's my only head and I love it. The best sounding Eden IMO.
    It's plenty loud even at 330 watts too.

It's pretty doesn't have that overly warm low mids that the other Edens seem to have, a little more "true" sounding.
    It's also has a few little features that I really dig like a pre/post EQ for the DI, a mute switch, a "warm" switch that is supposed to replicate a tube type sound (real subtle) and a few others like a speaker off switch, compressor, bass/treb boost.

It's a cool head.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I know you've had the TT, and your endorsement says alot! How do you think it compares to the AI amps? The Clarus/Focus is very clean/true, and I'm kind of thinking about something a little smoother and warmer for electric gigs. If the 330 gives up clean but still brings that nice Eden fatness I'm into it. I guess they have a 405 out which packs more watts.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I did an a/b test of the 330 with a wt-550 and found very little tonal difference. they both sounded, well, like edens. The switches on the 330 all sounded very subtle. I preferred the tonal flexibility of the 550, but the switchable high mid/low mid midrange control of the 330 seemed well voiced for most applications.

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Yeah, I guess it still sounds like an Eden, but not as "Eden-y" as the WT's that I've played/owned. Not the overly emphisized low end.

Comparring them to the AI stuff, well the AI stuff is awesome, and you can't beat the weight factor. The AI's are "flatter" where-as the Eden TT's has more of the low end bump that they (Eden) are known for.

I like the AI amps, in fact, if it wasn't my TT330, it would be a Focus without even thinking about it. Plus I'm about to step up to a NS CR5M, and I hope my little CXC110 combo does it. If not a Focus is gonna be on the try-out list!

To answer your question Will, it is a clean little amp with the Eden warmth. The 330 isn't available anymore as a stand alone head, just the 405. But heck, we all could use a little more watts every now and then!