1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rnarrington1, May 23, 2012.

1. Alright I just bought a pre us music eden 115xlt cab. This is my first real rig and maybe im just not doing something right. Im running a Hartke Ha2000 head into this cab, and at lower volumes the cab sounds great, but at louder volumes say volume on 5 the speaker farts out on my low b. Im playing a cort a5, those of you not familiar with it, it has bartolini mk1 pickups and active 3band eq. This cab is 8ohms and supposed to handle 400watts. At 8 ohms the hartke head is only supposed to put out 125 watts. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, and if I need to answer any questions please let me know
    Thanks guys!

2. Any advice would be great..... fourty views and no comments. Am I just asking a dumb question?:rollno:

3. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

no its not a dumb question (I've seen some dumb questions on talkbass) it could be because your only putting 125 watts into a 400 watt cab. Just a guess.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    You could be overdriving the pre-amp.
    I'm not familiar with the Hartke, but an active bass has a hot signal.
    If you set the bass @ 8-10 that would overdrive the pre-amp.
    Try running the Master volume higher than the Gain level, keep your bass under 8.
    Also the pre-amp controls on the amp could be set too high i.e. the bass level.
    I own Eden and love it.

5. Are you running the bass knob full on your active cort?

6. Ive had it at full volume and half and everywhere in between. Ive changed settings on the amp all over the place. I can get it to not fart out on the low b but i have to change the eq settings to a point that im not happy with the tone. Ill be home from work in a few hours and am going to play with it more. Maybe track down another head to test the cab with. I know the cab is older ("02) but it is in mint condition. Im thinking maybe there might be a problem with the head itself. Ive read some on this amp and found that they have grounding issues, and pream issues. Maybe ill need to upgrade the head?

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    From a quick scan of that cab's porting and specs, it really doesn't appear suited to a 5 string unless special precautions are taken. My guess is you're driving it past Xmax when you play the low B from fret 7 and below. Bovril's question is a good one. Bass boost will only make matters worse. Also forget about wattage ratings. I could send that cab to Kingdom Come with half that signal, given the right conditions (eq, pickup choice, effects, and playing style).

8. So should I maybe get a different cab? or stick to a four string with this cabinet?

9. I would try the head with a different cab and try the eden cab with a different head and try isolate which part is causing the problem. I suspect it is the cab that is probably reaching it's limits with the low frequencies at higher volumes

10. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    > So should I maybe get a different cab?

There ya go. ;-)

But make sure it's flat (and I mean FLAT) to 32 Hz.

Get your wallet out, lol. Deep bass costs money.

Another option would be to add a steep high-pass filter in the effects loop. Set it a couple Hz higher than the cab's -3 dB point. 50 Hz in your case. Your B string's fundamental's will get kneecapped but that string can survive mostly on harmonics (it's done all the time in live sound). Get me the effect loop's input (return) impedance and we can select an FMod for you as a cheap way out of this.

11. I think its a combination of you pushing a lot of lows, and running out of head room, AND reaching the xmax of your cab in doing so. You are not sending a clean signal on top of sending it to a cab that doesnt want to handle it. whether you need a new cab/head is up to you and the sound you want. If you are pushing a lot of lows you are going to need 350-500 watts minimum to stay clean. You are also are going to need a cab that can do something useful with that much power in the low end.

12. bass151

bass151

Mar 10, 2012
    I know someone else said they can move tall buildings with half the power your using but I'm pretty sure you feed the eden a good 3 to 500 watts, use reasonanable bass eq and you should be O.K. 15's like lots of clean power and headroom. Your cabinet is a good cabinet, but low b and low power to a 15, not good. I would try another head first, preferably borrow one to try.

13. Thank You to everyone that has commented. It seems like the frequency range is the problem. I do have one more question though, is there a cabinet out there that will go to the 30hz or so that is needed to solidly reproduce the low b? I have been looking and cannot find one. There is definetely alot more to this craft than just hooking an amp and playing. Thanks to all of you for the education im receiving today, its much appreciated!

14. there are a few cabs that really handle the low b well. I would check out Barefaced, Acme, and fEARful. They all have their trade offs, and im sure there are others out there that I am missing. There are options out there, it will really depend on what you want to spend and how loud you really need to be.

For my money and playing style, a 15/6 is the bees knees.

15. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    RN, what you've found is one of bass ampdom's Dirty Little Secrets. Almost no reflex/ported cabs out there can handle low B safely. I personally know of NO reflex/ported cab that can. Show me a commercially available reflex cab that's flat to 32 and I'll take it back. (However, it suddenly occurs to me that Acme might be the ones to make me do just that -- I haven't looked at their specs -- I hear they're real sticklers for low-end guts. Might be worth a look!)

Many manufacturers will be more than happy to publish a "vapor spec" for response (i.e. lacking +/- dB points), or give you a real one except qualify it (honestly) with +/- 10dB and hope you'll fall for it, or give you some meaningless anecdotal comment like "...handles low B really well" which is worth about as much as a bean fart on a dairy farm. Again I'd suggest a high-pass filter. Another option would be to choose a big sealed (infinite baffle) cab because, although they don't reproduce extreme low bass all that well, they don't "let go" of their drivers way down low (reflex cabs do) and so in real-world field use they're far more apt to come though battles with B strings unscathed, everything else being equal.

EDIT: CL, you beat me to the punch on the Acme suggestion.

16. I have that cab and got the same results with an Eden WT800 amp. When I changed to a GK 1001 RBII the problem went away and the cab sounded a LOT better. I could see another "HiFi" amp like the Hartke causing the same problem.

17. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That 30 Hz slider is just waiting with sharpened fangs for someone to boost it with the wrong cab connected. ("Wrong cab" meaning the vast majority of reflex cabs out there.) With his cab I'd drop it to minimum as a precautionary measure, then use either the 100 Hz contour or the 64 and 125 Hz sliders for bass boost. As for Eden, I think their bass controls center at 40 (or shelve at 40), which is just another case of "asking for it." Gallien's 60 Hz bass control center frequency reeks of common sense and an understanding of how things work/sound in the real world and on real stages. Obviously the homework was done there.

18. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Having used Eden gear for many years...I will say that cone creasing is the main problem that will result in symptoms you describe.
    Have a good look at the drivers edge all around and see if it has creasing.
    If it does, you will need to get the speaker reconed

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I also must agree that the watts you are putting out will probably not give you the volume you need

20. Im not too sure that i understand "creasing" could you fill me in on what id be looking for?