Eden Highwayman Wt-500 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap_happy, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I'm considering buying a used Eden Highwayman 500. For those of you who don't know, it's 250 watts per side into 4ohms, or 500 watts bridged at 8ohms. Anyway, I'm having trouble understanding what this means exactly. I know about bridging (I think) and all that but have never heard it in these terms before. My question is, if I will be using this head with one SWR Workingman's 4x10t and one 1x15t both 8ohms, what are my options to get the 500 watts out of the head? Is that possible? Also, why would someone be limited to only 250 watts if they had one 4ohm cab (would they?). Eventually I plan to buy an Eden 2x10 and 1x15, would I want them to be 4ohms or 8ohms to get the full 500 watts?
  2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The head has two indepedent power sections (each is 250 watts). You can plug each side into a seperate cabinet and it won't affect the impedance (unless you add more cabinets per side). If you are running a single cabinet, you can bridge the two sections into one and use the wattage from both to drive the single cabinet. Adding another cabinet will change the impedance. If you could run at four ohms bridged, you could use two 8 ohm cabs, but since the head appears to run at a minimum of 8 ohms bridged, I would advise against it.

You wouldn't be able to get the maximum wattage out of your head since the the SWRs are 8 ohms each (unless you just bridged into one of the cabs), and you can't run at 4 ohms bridged. When you purchase the Eden cabs, you will want to purchase 4 ohm cabinets to maximize your wattage on each side. Most of Eden's older cabinets are 8 ohms, but now they offer a lot more 4 ohm cabinets.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They just started to make their amps mono bridged at 2 and 4 ohms. They don't make the Highwayman anymore. They have the Traveler 550 now which is like I stated above. Check w/ Bass Central, they have REAL good pricing on Eden. You might be able to afford that. It's real light and compact.
  4. Running two 8 ohm cabinets is less than optimal, because you only get about 175W per channel into two 8 ohm cabinets.

Basically what you want for a WT-500 is either two 4 ohm cabinets, one on each channel, or one 8 ohm cabinet running bridged. Two 4 ohm 2x10"s would work, as would one 8 ohm 4x10".
  5. +1
  6. Thanks guys, still a little confused. If i ran two 4 ohm cabs in each power section each cab would see 250 watts. In this case, does 250 + 250 = 500? I'm under the impression that it doesn't. Is the only way to get 500 watts out of this amp to bridge into one 8 ohm cab? And while I had the amp and two 8 ohm cabs, to get the most power, couldn't I run both cabs from one side of the amp to get 250watts @ 4ohms instead of 175 @ 8 from both sides, or would the the 175 be more powerful since there are two? Also, could someone briefly explain the ins and outs of bridging, not what it is, but how to do it and where the cables go? Thanks again.

7. Your initial comment is correct... 250+250 does equal 500. For all practical purposes, running your head with two 4ohm cabs in 'stereo' will be identical (as far as power amp output) to running a single 8ohm cab with the amp bridged. What you don't want to do is run two 8ohm cabs in stereo.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Bridging is when the + side of each channel and the -
    side of each output channel is connected together in an amp
    that has 2 channels of output. This is effected by using a
    banana plug, usually, that 'bridges' each pole together
  9. Identical in power amp output and therefore in volume and all that other good stuff, or just in the number of watts coming out of the amp. And I wouldn't want to run two 8ohm cabs in stereo because it wouldn't draw the wattage I'm going, and not because its bad for the head or anything, correct?
  10. Just in the number of watts coming out of the amp. You won't harm anything by running two 8ohm cabs in stereo, and it will probably sound fine... you just won't be getting all the wattage that the amp is capable of generating.

As others have pointed out, cabinet sensitivity (the SPL stuff) can have a larger effect on absolute volume than number of watts, although the two interact. All other things being equal, more watts is usually better. There are lot's of comments about it taking a huge increase in watts to really notice a difference in volume, and in general that is true. However, the lowest notes on a bass can suck up a lot of wattage... that's why a 50 watt guitar amp can sound much louder than a 200 watt bass amp. To my ear, having more watts tends to give you a more open sound when you are playing down on the E string.... aggressive playing down there can easily 'clip' a lower power amp.

Anyway, you won't hurt anything at all by running those two cabs in stereo... actually, the amp will run cool and easy since you aren't pushing it at 8ohms stereo.

The unfortunate thing about many stereo amps (including the one that you have) is that you can only take them down to 8ohms bridged, so you can't bridge into two 8ohm cabs. The only way to get full power out of your amp is to run two 4ohm cabs in stereo or a single 8ohm cab bridged.
  11. So the only way to get 500 watts, or the volume identical to 500 watts is to bridge into one 8 ohm cab. Guess I should just look for a used WT-400/WT-550 then....
  12. Correct.... however, the Eden's are very loud for their wattage... and multiple cabs (all other things being equal) will increase your volume more than an increase in wattage in most cases. So... I'd use the WT500 in stereo into you 8ohm cabs for a while and see how it works for you. You might be surprised at how good it sounds.... you will still be pumping 350 watts... and that's not much different than a WT400 into 4 ohms.

Eventually, if you really like the way the Eden sounds, you might check out an 8ohm 410XLT or XST... that would rock with the 500 bridged.

Good luck!

Edit: I just noticed that you haven't purchased the WT500 yet. In that case... I would suggest looking for a used 400 or 550... smaller, simpler (no bridging) and pretty much the same amount of power in most cases. There are also used Thunderfunk420's starting to show up... they are very nice too, and are similar to the WT400's.
  13. Yeah, in the long run it might make more sense to just get a used WT-550. There's one on bass central for 700, 150 more than the used Highwayman.
    I have one more question though: KJung, you said that the 250watt outputs from both sides of the amp would equal the 500watts of the two bridged together "250 + 250 does equal 500." and then "The only way to get full power out of [the Highwayman] is to run two 4ohm cabs in stereo or a single 8ohm cab bridged." But then you agreed with my conclusion (I believe that I misunderstood) that the only way to get same volume as a straight 500 watts was to bridge into one 8ohm cab. I don't care where the numbers come from or what the numbers are, only that the final volume would be equal to that of a straight 500 watts (from an Eden in this case, as I do realize the one companies watts are not another companies watts.) In any event, sorry for the misunderstanding (I'll try to put this into terms we can both understand), if I ran two 4ohm Eden cabs from each side of the amp (The Highwayman), aka in stereo, each cab would see 250 watts. Forgetting about numbers for a second, would that be just as loud/powerful/etc. as running two 8ohm versions of the same cabs into a hypothetical one sided/channel (mono?) version of the Highwayman (500 watts).
  14. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    This is a difficult question since you're talking about a hypothetical mono version of the amp, but if you ran it with two 8 ohm cabs in mono, you would be driving a 4 ohm load from the Highwayman. (the real version cannot run bridged mono into 4 ohms, only 8 ohms.) however, if this was possible, it would be louder because if it puts out 500 watts mono into 8 ohms, it would put out more power (around 700 watts) into 4 ohms. Keep in mind this isn't possible because you can't bridge the Highwayman into 4 ohms.

On the other hand if you ran two 8 ohm cabs in stereo on the real Highwayman, you would only be getting 175 watts x 2.
  15. hahah this is going to remain somewhat difficult. Basically what I'm saying is: I want 500 Eden watts. If I know that I want to run two cabs, is it possible to get those watts out of the Highwayman by running two 4ohm cabs in stereo. Basically, does 250 on one side + 250 on the other actually equal 500 watts, not in terms of "total amp output" but in terms of volume, where it really matters.

-Or- if 500 watts with two cabs out of the Highwayman is impossible, should I just pay an extra 150 and get the WT-550. (I'm on somewhat of a limited budget.)
  16. Sure, two 4 ohm cabinets run in stereo would get 250W each for a total of 500W. If you hooked up two 4 ohm cabinets in series for an 8 ohm load, and bridged the amp, you would still get the same 250W into each cabinet.

The gist is that amp puts out 500W total, and it doesn't matter how you get the 500W, whether it is 250W + 250W stereo into 4 ohms, or 500W bridged into 8 ohms. The end result in terms of volume and power is the same.

What makes more difference in terms of volume is the efficiency of your speakers. A 4 ohm Eden D410XLT driven with 250W would be louder than an 8 ohm Acme 4x10" driven with 500W.
  17. So does that mean that when my SWR WK 4004 stack puts out 400 watts mono out of two 8ohm cabs, each cab is putting out 200 watts? Sorry if this seems completely obvious but I was under the impression that both put out 400 to equal 400.
  18. If your amp puts out 400W into 4 ohms, and you hook up two 8 ohm cabinets, then yes, each gets 200W.
  19. How would I run two 8ohm cabs in stereo? Im confused. I thought this accepts two 4 ohms or 1 8ohm cab only?