eden known for speakers blowing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pil101, Jun 9, 2003.

1. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    i think i have heard this. well anyway,my 410 xlt, that i bought used, always has buzzed a little when i play low notes on my 4 string. recently i got so bad that the one speaker was just REALLY flabby and distorted. i took off the grill and sure enough there was a rip about halfway around the edge of the cone. according to the paperwork that the guy had given me, they had 2 speakers reconed already. this sucks!

1. should i get this one reconed or buy a new one?
    2. should i get it done by eden?
    3. anyone else have similar problems?

thanks as always

2. Hi There
    Could post an attachment photo of the speaker itself ?

Also what amp settup are you using / EQ settings ?

I had very similar issues with a brand new SWR Goliath 6x10 after about 4 months. Turned out to be a batch of faulty drivers.

Do the speakers move in/out smoothly by hand..
    If not then it could indicate the voice coil has been damaged.

Attached a photo of my damaged SWR driver that they replaced all under warrenty...Do they look anyhting like that ?

Cheers, Dave
  3. I use to have a nemesis nc112 combo (eden makes them) same thing happened to it, got it reconed, worked great, eden covered the cost of the cone kit, I just had to pay for the labour, i think it was about $20, the music store that I had bought it from brought it to a guy that did that sort of thing. No troubles, no shipping, worked great up until I traded it off.
  4. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I had a speaker crease in my 210XST powered by a SM400S. The gain was set right. It creased at about 2/3 volume. Granted my Roscoe is a bit hot output wise.
    It was not covered by warranty (pretty new). However, the guys here at Wizard Electronics helped me out. After getting a faulty set of drivers from Eden, they were told that a new set would be on back order for another 2 months approximately. Finding this unacceptable, they told me they would find speakers an alternative, and so 3 days later I have my speakers back.
    I was sort of dissapointed, but I haven't totally given up on Eden yet. This sort of set me back mentally and financially in the purchase of a second XST.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    any speaker can blow if it's not treated right. Eden's are not known to blow often or without good reason.....

I'd say the previous owner was doing something he shouldn't have been.
  6. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    that sounds about right. thanks for the insight everyone.