Eden, Mesa, and power amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzhed4, Nov 13, 2003.

1. bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    OK ppl. heres the deal. ive been playing bass for about 4 years now and i have always played a single head single cabinet setup. my most recent and current setup is a M-Pulse 600 and a Eden 410 XLT. ive been thinking about geting a 2x15 to go with it as my band is starting to get bigger gig opportunities and playing bigger stages. my rig has done well with small and mid sized rooms but this upcoming summer we may actually be playing some outdoor festivals and bigger venues.

So my question is this. What is my best bet to add more volume without sacrificing tone. I have a 4 ohm eden cabinet and the mesa is only rated to go down to four so i know that i cant just add another cab. can i use my slave out into a power amp and still run my 4x10 out of my head at the same time or is it one or the other. what would you reccomend to add to this setup for a lettle extra low end. my mids and highs are to die for but i seem to be sacrificing in the low dept and with all the talk about cone creasing in the eden 410 xlt i dont want to push it too hard. by the way i use stingray and thumb 5 strings so i get good growl out of both. i have been playing around with my sound and i now have it exactly what i have been looking for and now i just need more.

oh and by the way...inn case you are all wondering why i need more sound....i am playing with two guitarists...both running triple rectifier mesa boogies thru marshall half's....and they are both talking about going with full stacks......i can hang with them fine now...but if they go to full stacks im going to get lost. you know them f***ing guitarists.

any help would be appreciated. any reccomendations on amp brands. im pretty much set on eden for the cab but if you wnat to recommend a brand of cab that would be cool too.

thanx in advance for listening to a quasi newbie.
  2. bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD

any help ppl?
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Since you are using a 5 string and you want more lows, you might want to look at a PA subwoofer with an 18" speaker.
    There tends to be more choices for PA subs with 18's than Bass cabs with 18's. The local Guitar Center here has several PA sub models with 18s but not any bass cabs with 18s.

Most decent size clubs use Subs to produce deep lows without sacrificing the tone of the Mids and Highs. Even most home surround sound systems use a sub of some sort - to produce "Bass" frequecies.

PA subs work well for Bass support. You would need another amp and probably a crossover (unless your head has one built in).

Bass -> Current Head -> Speaker Out -> 4x10 Cab
    ---------> Current Head -> Line Out -> X-over -> Power amp -> 1x18 Cab
  4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I dont think adding a 18" sub would be the best idea. Adding more low end is not going to help you cut through the mix. How about this idea:

Buy another Eden 410 cab. I think there is a fairly easy way to hook up two 4 ohm cabs in series so your amp will still be operating a 4 ohm load eventhough your running two 4 ohm cabs. If that wont work, buy two Eden 8 ohm 410's and sell the 4 ohm 410 you have. The cab coulping effect I think gives you couple extra db. And doublinhg the speaker area (usiing two cabs) will give you soem extra needed volume with out the need for extra wattage.

If none of this works, then it is time to start amp shopping. Your talking at least a 1000 watts to keep up with two Mesa full stacks.

Kick your guitarists in the nuts for being stupid. Nobody needs a Mesa Triple Rectifier full stack to play in a local club/bar/lounge.