Eden Metro Combo DC 210 XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Jun 5, 2005.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    Is it a good thing? a read some reviews about blowin'the speakers?

Im planning to buy one second-hand. Is it a good choice. I have a hartke 4x10 XL with a 3500 top now, so a 4x10, will i miss the 2 speakers with the eden, of will the eden blow so hard, my hartke is nothing?

here a picture:

Power 8Ω/4Ω/2Ω 300/500/750W RMS
    Distortion <.05%
    Frequency Response 10Hz - 15KHz ±2dB
    Speaker EC-1060XL Cast Frame
    Tweeter E-2700
    Impedance 2&#8486;/4&#8486;/8&#8486;
    Dimensions 23"w x 24"h x 18.5"d
    Weight 78 LBS

Is it a good choice instead of my hartke?
  2. I've been an owner of an Eden Metro for over a year now and I'm very happy with it, save for a few exceptions. Tonally, it is nearly everything I want. Lately, I've been thinking I'd like the ability to get a little more of a modern sound out of it, but still, it gives me all the warmth and room-filling bass that I could ever need. I find that it's more than powerful enough for my gigs, but they're not that big or loud, so your results may vary.

I can't speak of how it would compare to your Hartke, but suffice to say that I've played through a few Hartke amps and cabs and I've never really enjoyed their sound. A friend owned a very different Hartke, a Kickback 15 with the aluminum cone speaker, and it had very bad, honky mids. You had to crank the bass and treble on the EQ to get a remotely "flat" sound. I never liked the tone of that amp. My Eden Metro, on the other hand, I almost nearly run flat and it sounds great. Just a tad bit of EQ here and there gets me exactly the sound I want.

Now, what are the downsides? For me, it is too big (bulky) and too heavy of an amp to carry up to and down from my second-floor apartment. Since I nearly always have to do it by myself, it's just become too impractical (and unsafe), but maybe you have better balance than I do. Still, the casters on it make it great for moving around. It's just the stairs issue for me, really. In a few months, I'll be working on getting a lighter rig that I can move in parts (separate head and cab), but I will certainly miss my Metro and the tone it has served me with.

One last thing to note is that since US Music took ownership of Eden, the power amp section has been upgraded to the current 300/500/750W ratings (at their respective impedances). Before the upgrade, all Eden Metros, like mine, were rated at 200/400/600W (respectively). Make sure you check when it was made, as the Eden press release on the Metro upgrade was issued May 15, 2003.

To sum it up, it's a phenomenal amp with great tone and lots of versatility. Add an extra cab and the thing CRANKS out power.
  3. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    this one is 600 watts.. is it loud enough? you can add another speakercabinet, so maybe in the futer i'll add a 2x12 cab. but for the gigs i play now, i guess this one would be loud enough, if stands on eyehight
  4. Even when pushing just 200W into the internal speaker, the Metro can get quite loud. With an extension cab (I've added a 15" cab a few times), it can really crank out the volume. I'm sure a 2x12 would be killer running under the Metro.
  5. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but as standalone?? and is the soundquality really eden? can i aspect it sounds like a wt600 wich i played fridaynight, i really liked that one.
  6. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    and is it reliabile?

i've read some reviews about blowin the speakers, or some solder joint breakings.. ? it is second hand, so no warranty i gues.. its a 2001 model

i really like the eden sound, but i also want this thing to work well for another ten years for me...
  7. When I said "Even when pushing just 200W into the internal speaker, the Metro can get quite loud." I basically meant "yes, it is loud enough (for me) as a standalone." You have not told us anything about how big of a gig you're playing, so I have no clue how loud is loud enough. If you're playing arenas every Friday night, it wouldn't be loud enough. If you're playing a bar, you could easily be far too loud (if you wanted).

Why wouldn't the sound quality be "really Eden"? The WT600 and the Metro's tube preamp channel, I believe, are basically the same circuits (no compressor in the Metro), so I would assume they sound the same. The difference in sound between those two heads, you may find, will probably come from what cabinets are used (and how hard they're driven). If you used the WT600 with a SWR cab and the Metro by itself, I doubt they'd sound alike at all. If you used a WT600 with a 210XLT, they'd probably sound a lot alike.

As for reliability, about two months after I got my Metro (used) one of the solder joints on the power rails broke (I think that's what I was told). After an inspection and whatnot, I think it came to an $80 fix and I haven't had problems since. Now, I've only had it for a bit over a year, so I can't tell you anything beyond that.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to own one, before it was stolen. It is one of the louder combos out there. As nspark said, it basically sounds like one of the Eden WT heads played through a D210XLT.

The only thing that I did not like about mine is that it didn't handle notes below the low E on a 4 string very well. Since I play primarily 5 and 6 string basses, that is a must for me. So when mine was stolen, I replaced it with a Peavey BAM.

Since you apparently play 4 stringers, that should not be an issue for you.
  9. I have to agree with you embellisher. I just came into a StingRay5 and the B-string doesn't have quite the definition and punch I was hoping for. Similarly enough, a great friend of mine has a Peavey BAM and it handles the B-string incredibly well. Very tight and punchy. Sounds great.
  10. One nice aspect of the Metro is that it will handle a 2 ohm load. Also, the cabinets were available at 4 and 8 ohms so that choice would influence what and how many external speakers you would be able to add.

Also, it has two separate preamps. One is tube and the other is transistor.
  11. J.T

Mar 9, 2005
    Tulsa, Ok
    Mine did both as well. Had it new for less than a year. Never ran it very hard, but di push it at times. I also play a five string, which would really distort the woofers at times. I think as a standalone w/ a 4-string at low volume....it cant be beat. but if you need stage volume, or play a five i would recomend an extension cab, or a diferent amp all together.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Add a second Eden cab for high volume. That is what I did. I added a 410XLT to mine when I was playing outside. On one occasion, I added the 410XLT, and a homemade 215 for an outdoor gig. I have never heard anything so loud. It sounded great too. It was way more volume that I would have ever needed, it was just awesome to stand in front of this huge tower of volume and power.

I played a fiver with mine, and I did notice that the notes were not as loud when I got down low. The 410 helped with that alot. In my situation, the Metro by itself was perfect for low to medium gigs in front of up to 200 people.

Reliability? I purchased mine from another TBer used. He had zero mechanical/electrical problems with it, and neither did I. I shipped it to a guy in Texas, and during shipping a solder joint came loose. I wouldn't blame that on Eden though.

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    As far as 2 10 go it get loud. Not as loud as a 4"1resul?_??? Xlt.

No surprise there. Compare it to an amped 4 10 and you might be surprised.s