Eden Metro paired with ____?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wardak, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Opinions wanted: would an Eden 210 Metro sound best with:

(1) 118XL ? (8-ohms, per the specs the lowest sounding, but 200w from the combo might not get this cab to its performance sweet spot...)

(2) 115XLT ? (8-ohms, popular, light, not sure though)

(3) 215XL ? (4-ohms)

(4) 215XLT ? (4-ohms, also gives a "whole cab" option since it has the tweeter and may work OK on its own...)

Finding these in the same place at the same time is a challenge. Is the Metro really workable at a 2-ohm load, or does it struggle? (In the case of a 4-ohm Metro and a 4-ohm extension cab).

I'm playing a 5-string, and I like a balance of clarity and a thick bassy sound--kind of like a good subwoofer (not an ambiguous distorted muddy howl).
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    no on your list, but i think it sounds best with a d212xlt. awesome cab. currently, i have my metro paired up with a hartke 410xl and it absolutely kills. loud, too ;)

any eden is going to give you a bassy sound. the specs may not show it, ie freq. response, but they are all really deep sounding cabs.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'll vouch for the deepness of the cabs. I've put it through it low handling paces, believe me.

Though I think a Metro would sit really well with a 115XLT. The 2x0/1x15 combo is a really nice combo: it's well rounded, has a good punch, and is pretty decent as far as weight contrictions go.
  4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    how about a 4x10 XST? 8 ohms (with a 4 ohm metro you'd have a load of 2.6 or so ohms, which is questionable but at least not as dangerous as 2.) Plenty of low end with less mud than a 1x15.
  5. dancinDave

dancinDave Guest

Apr 15, 2001
    Rochester, NY. USA
    I have an Eden Metro and it's a real nice combo amp. Heavy, but great sounding, lots of options.
    The ext. cabs I own are:
    1)4x10 Ampeg Pro
    1)1x18 Ampeg Pro reloaded with 1000w Celestion
    2)2x10 Eden D-210XLTs (2 of them)
    1)1x15 Eden D-115XLT
    (I wish I owned a 2x12, oh well)
    For me, the best way with 1 cab only is the D-115. That gives me 2 10s and 1 15".
    The Ampeg 4x10 Pro is also nice but the Eden 15 goes a little bit lower. The Ampeg/Celestion 1x18 is nice too but you can't hear the 18 until your 20+ feet from the stage and it's hard to gauge your volume that way. With the 18, the soundman is constantly telling me to turn down but I can't hear myself articulately on stage. I only use the 18 on outside gigs.
    Once I ran the Eden Metro with the 2 2x10s daisy chained into one ext. output and the 1x15 into the other ext. output. That was 6 10s and 1 15 and brought it down to 2 ohms. I played it that way for 3 hours straight and it ran nice and cool and it was absolutely thunderous! Lots of stuff to haul and I wouldn't do that on a regular basis, but what an amp!
    <smiles> dD
  6. Thanks for this feedback guys. I'm thinking that the 4x10 is great for a consistent close-up sort of sound (I have a lone Aguilar 4x10 now), but think that a 15/18 cab might add some more meat. I think a 4x10 and an amp and a separate 15/18 cab is a bit much. 2x10 combo with another cab is my limit on (amp) gear to carry and load in the car. Despite the weight I think I can (carefully) get the Metro in the front seat and any of those other cabs in the back seat (4-door Neon).

I understand about the long throw characteristics of the 15/18--I'm thinking the 2x10 part of the Metro would help give me a defined top end and most of my monitoring, and that the 15 or 18 equipped cab would throw the bass out to the room and the rest of the musicians--I'd set it off to the side a ways so I wasn't right on top of the stack. Some folks who've tried the Metro with some of these other cabs (I got some additional feedback in E-mail) seemed to think the 1x15 blended more naturally with the Metro, and that the 18 was deeper (but also that possibly the 1x18 was too much of "a good thing" for just the Metro).

I'd like to hear more about the Eden 2x15 XL with the Metro, so far nothing on that...haven't seen it anywhere either. Looking at wattage a few things come to mind:

A. 8-ohm Metro + 4-ohm 4x10 XLT gives 2.6 ohms. This would give the drivers each the same watts and would be ~500 watts of power for 1100 watts of cabinet. Probably not the setup I'm looking for...and it seems to me that cabs don't usually "speak" too well when they're not driven enough.

B. 8-ohm Metro and 8-ohm 1x18 XL gives 4 ohms total and only 200 watts to each cab (counting the speakers in the Metro as a cab, of course). Seems like I'd be underpowering the cabs (or at least the 1x18). A 4-ohm Eden 1x15 or 1x18 cab would be helpful here...

C. 4-ohm Metro + 4-ohm 2x15 XL cab gives 2 ohms total and gives each "cab" 300-watts. The 2x10 XLT has a 350 watt limit and the 2x15 has I think 400 watts. Seems like a good match from a watts view.

I think all of the things (sound, power stuff, portability, reliability) need to be considered before I bought any of it. I suppose I could buy and run around with a Metro and try to find it's best match, I'm not sure I want to do that just yet... I might have to plan a vacation around a music store that's well-stocked on this stuff. Hmmm...sucks being picky, but I do appreciate the feedback from you guys, it'll all percolate into some sort of perfect answer--your input is helpful! It is pretty cool that we have numerous options!
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It looks to me like you are looking for something with real low end, so I second the recomendation for the 410XST.

Get the XST not the XLT if what you want is the lowest frequency response.

One thing that could be an issues is if you really want such a big cab with such high power capabilities. If thats the case, I would recomend that you check out the D-210XST when It comes out. Its already been anounced on Harmony Central, so you should see some relatively soon.

No mater what you get, if its Eden, you will have great low end. They are the only manufacturer Ive tried that makes 10's that satisfy my low end craving.

On the issue of the Metro with the 215XLT, I use a similar setup. I have an Eden Nemesis 2-10 combo that I use with my self built 2-15" cab thats tune dto 30Hz. Its not the same setup, but the general vibe is failry similar, and its pretty intense. Id recommend trying it out next time you visit the guitar/bass store.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That sounds like what I need! Any info? Price, specs, etc?
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I found some info in a thread about the new WT-550.

I think it was Munji or another well known Eden user that started the thread. Either way there was a link to Harmony Central where they had info posted.

I went to harmony central but I couldnt find the article, I did find that they are re-releasing the Mustang bass though:D .

Correction, I did find it but It took me a really long time.