1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden Metro question - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smurfco, Aug 30, 2007.

1. smurfco

smurfco Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Gang,

I picked up an Eden Metro earlier this week, and I notice that if I get too close to it with my bass (a Precision) it will start to make a buzzing sound. It's especially bad if I hold the bass close to the upper right hand corner of the amp, where the power is. It is like a similar effect to when you hold your bass close to a television that's turned on. BZZZZZZZZZZZ. Almost as if the amp is giving off some sort of interference. If I back away it stops. I guess the simple solution is, don't stand close to your amp - but is this normal or is it something I should have looked at?

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    This is most likely due to your bass grounding or the plug that you've plugged your rig into. Can you try the amp through a cleaner AC power source?

3. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Tried through two basses and two different houses (including a power conditioner). No joy.

4. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Also, I don't know if this bit of information is helpful or not, but the ground lift switch seems to have absolutely zero effect on the problem.

5. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I don't think the ground lift can help, it's only for the direct output afaik

I get the same thing with my Eden, when I get really too close... which is why I don't play too close :p

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Did you use the same cord?

It could be an amp issue, but i've never heard a noisy Metro.

7. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Different cords, same effect... :\

Thanks for the replies!