1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden Metro Question/Opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, May 16, 2001.

1. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Welcome all. I just looked through all the old threads and did not see anything about this combo, so I figured I would ask.

I am looking for a new sound. The Hartke head/Carvin cabinets I have been using for the past 5 years are just not doing it for me anymore. I have been looking all over the net at reviews of powerful combo amps that I could get, and the Eden seems to be a pretty good choice. My question is this: Is this combo worth the money in a live situation? I know that I can make the drive to Bass Central (3+hours) to try it out, but I don't think they would let me take it and try it live before I pay for it. So, will this one hack it live? The club I play at holds about 1000 people. We have a good PA, so I need clarity in my sound more than raw power; just enough volume to be heard over the two Marshall combos going into my left ear.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if there are any other combos in the same price range (<>$1000) that would work better in my situation, let me know that also.

Thanks!

2. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    There were a couple of Super Redheads by SWR on bassgear a while back. That's very much the amp that the Metro compares to (in fact, I think the Metro was developed to compete with the Redhead).

Good luck.

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the metro is killer. just ask embellisher (he posts on here and owns one). i'd say you should try it out, as well as the swr redhead (or silverado - same power section, 2x12 with horn, a little less $), even if it is inconvenient because the retailer is far away.

i personally prefer swr to eden. many people (embellisher) go the other way. that's why it'd be nice to try them, but the truth is, either one is a very satisfying amp, and it'd be perfect to mike thru a PA. still plenty of stage volume for a gig like you're describing, i believe.

when you're ready to buy one, check www.riksmusic.com - lowest prices, free shipping.

4. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...I thought I heard the magic words "Bass Central".

Hmm....well, I know it's a bit of a drive from Valdosta to Orlando (and certainly more than just 3+ hrs!! :eek: ), but it may be worth your while. You can certainly check out both the Metro and the Redhead+ side by side in the shop, in addition to several other interesting and amazing amps (we won't mention the 100+ basses calling your name from the walls ;) ).

As for an opinion, well, remember, this IS a personal opinion, and shouldn't be taken as anything but (I do work part-time at BC).

My preference is for the Eden Metro. It's more flexible (has two channels vs. the one in the SWR), has more available power (runs at 350 watts with the internal speakers, grab a 4 ohm extension cab, say a D210XLT and you're lookin' at 600 butt stompin' watts!), and just plain sounds better to my ear, much warmer and fuller than the Redhead. Oh, and I almost forgot, it's less expensive too! (~$100 less)

We can't let you just "borrow" it to take back to Valdosta, but if you just hate it (which I'm certain you WON'T), I'm sure we'd work something out with you on a return, if you were to ship it back or drive it back yourself. (don't quote me on that, but we DO have a 48 hr return policy on store-stock items). If you decide to come for a visit, let me know (PM, e-mail, etc) and I'll try to be there to say hey and help you out. Even if I can't be there though, you'll find everyone more than helpful and exceedingly knowledgeable about the stuff in the store.

5. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Dear God, don't I know about the basses calling my name. I bought a Warwick Corvette 6 fretless from Grasshopper back in October. I sold it a couple of months later on Ebay, which I now regret, but still. He was very helpful with getting me a great price and drop shipping it to me from California quick. I expect the in store service to be just as good. And after I get a good combo, next on the list is a high end 5 string to replace my Ibenhad(I love that phrase!) Ergodyne. I am sure you guys will be happy to take my not-so-discretionary income for that also.

I should be coming down there June 16th, which is the next weekend the band has off. I hope the G.A.S. does not overcome me in the meantime!

6. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Don't feel alone, that place hasn't exactly been kind to my wallet, and I work there!!! :eek: Grasshopper is great, so is Mark, as well as Beaver, all of us really try to be more than just salesmen, we're actually just bassplayers (we ALL are working players, except for Neal [Dirty Road Cola from here] who's still in high school and just works Sat's) that are trying to hook other players up with the right bass or amp. I've personally watched Beaver talk a guy out of buying a $2500 bass and into a $1000 one instead because it fit his needs better. As for Grasshopper, well, ask rickbass1 about him, he talked the the hopper of weeds about pickups yesterday and was thanking me for sending him to Grasshopper :D.

Argh, you would be coming that day! I'm gonna be playing a festival on the beach in Jacksonville that day!!!! Sigh, oh well....I'm sure you'll find everything you need and then some, with or without my help!!! ;) Good luck!!!!

7. I prefer the sound of the Redhead myself. To my ears it doesnt sound as "compressed" and more consistant overall. I really love the quality of the SWR stuff, not to mention it is smaller than the eden too. you can get them used pretty cheap on www.bassgear.com