Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden N28s, Ampeg PBC228, CarvnCyclp1528

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Hey, curious about ANYONE who has experience with these little 2x8 cabs/combos. Found only the eden combo n28s, the ampeg combo pbc228, and the carvin 15 2x8 cyclops. I also know of a peavey a while back that was 1 15 and 2x8.

Hows the low end? worthwhile? thin?

I am guessing they are all using teh alpha 8 from eminence?
    I'd love to know.

Does anyone know what 8inch DRIVERS are being used in these? anyone have.hear these? (aside from the 15 incher)

i am curious abotu 8 inch drivers. I bet in a year there will be 3 or more "NEW" 8inch style cabs as the trend is smaller and smaller.

any 8inch experience is appreciated.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The Cyclops isn't a 2-8 combo. It's a 15 + 2-8 combo, and the 8s handle only the highs.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    hence "(aside from the 15 incher)"

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Cool. The only reason I mentioned it is that in your post you asked about what kind of low end you could get out of 8s. The Cyclops is biamped, so no lows ever go to the 8s (they only go to the 15). So the Cyclops can't tell you anything at all about the lows available with 8s.

FWIW, a few years back, EA made a 2-8 cab (I think it was the VL-208). Ask around here and see if anybody still has one of those (maybe tombowlus?). From what I recall from having tried it once, the low end was pretty surprising.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've played the Eden (nemesis) at LDS, sounded great, but I don't know if it produced sufficient volume to even practice with a fairly loud R & B Band. Don at LDS builds some great 2 X 8 and 3 X 8 cabs that with a good small head (Clarius, Eden Traveler) could definitely handle some small club gigs. Or very own KJung has one. There's also a review comparison of the LDS 2 X 8 and the EA on the double bass side of this forum

6. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    hey, thanks for the responses guys.

ok, i am going over to read up on the other review.

thanks again.

7. i've played an ashdown 4x8 and an ampeg 4x8... both were okay at low volumes...

ones you turned them up they lost some thump... i haven't played them in a band setting... only in the store.

typically the 8s are in smaller boxes too... which means that they aren't ported for massive thump.

although, i hear phil jones can get a lot of lows from his 5" drivers...