1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden Navigator: Low Input Gain??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, May 11, 2011.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Maybe it's the nature of the beast, maybe not. I have a new-to-me Navigator preamp which only occasionally lights the Gain and Compressor Threshold LED's with both controls pegged fully clockwise. As I understand it, the signal is routed thru a 7025 tube, the compressor, and then the gain. I would normally expect compressor and gain responses at a much lower setting. Can anybody provide a logical explanation as to why this may be happening? With the exception of the input tube, the guts are solid-state.

Riis

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm pretty sure mine had a 12ax7 in it.
    I don't remember this being an issue for me...is yours one of the new non-usa made units?

From the online manual:
    Setting Your Level – Remember, begin with the Input Gain, Enhance, Compressor and Master Volume completely OFF – fully counter-clockwise. All EQ should be set flat, that is, at 12:00 – straight up.
    While playing your lowest note (or loudest), slowly turn the Input Gain up until the Set Level light begins to blink with regularity. If you can’t go past 8 or 9 o’clock, you may engage the Gain Switch to better match the gain of your instrument to the amplifier.
    If you have disengaged the Compressor as we suggested, the Set Level light will barely blink on your loudest notes. By the way, this is David’s favorite way to set level, even if you intend to use compression.
    Once you have properly set your Input Gain, turn the Master Volume up to a comfortable listening level and proceed with the rest of the setup process.

3. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nah, it's a 5 year old US model. Thanks for the 'blurb from the manual.

Riis

4. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I had one for years and had to set the input level at about 3/4 up even with an active Stingray. Remember on these amps, the input from your bass hits the tube first and THEN goes to the input volume level. Turning up the input volume does not cause you to hit the tube harder as it comes after the tube stage. Its different then a Mesa amp like the Walkabout where the input volume controls how hard you hit the tube stages. Takes a bit of a different approach as you want to avoid input clipping on the Nav as it wont sound good.

5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That is correct...the bass hits the tube first, then the compressor, and lastly the gain. If I were running something a little "hotter" on the front end (pedalboard, onboard pre), the levels would probably be perfect. As it stands, I think things are fine and may be relying too much on visual confirmation.

Riis