1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden Navigator output problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lucahost, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Lucahost

Lucahost

Nov 12, 2005
    Italy
    I have a problem with the main outputs of my Navigator (both HI and LOW) I connected the HI main output to the return of a SWR Workingman's fifteen (because I'm waiting for my power amp to arrive and so I tried the WP100 bought used on Ebay with my combo)and the signal is not so hot plus it's distorted

everything but the output seems to work correctly cause plugging the head phones, the tone is perfect, nothing wrong with it, but from the main outputs, comes out this ugly tone, distorted especially on the loudest notes

what could be the problem ? Maybe some internal connections broken while it was shipped ? I could check with my father (he's an electronic technician) inside the unit if you would please tell me what could be the problem

appreciate any help

thanks

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Is the switch on the front of the Nav set to "bi-amp"? If so, and depending upon your crossover setting (check the knob), you may only be running a high frequency signal through your SWR. You also may have the balance knob turned in the "wrong" direction, thus negating the channel you are attempting to send.

Did you try sending from the "low" output?

3. Lucahost

Lucahost

Nov 12, 2005
    Italy
    everything is setted correctly (stereo and balance ecc) and I tried to use either low or hi output but it's the same story...:crying: plus if everything works well with the phones output and doesn't distort, to me it is just the main output that doesn't work as it should...

I've read all the manual before starting to use it :smug:

EDIT

I just tried it again and, I realized that with yesterday's output level, the output level leds were going to blink the red lights, now with less level out, red lights don't blink and it seems like I have no distorsion... but the output signal is a little weak to feed the power amp section of the SWR, that's why I had to raise the volume knob

Navigator has a weak output used in mono ? If this is the way it is, then it's fine to me, I hope that when my QSC RMX 2405 will arrive, the weak output won't be a problem... is this a normal thing ? Is that possible to send both the main (left and right) outputs into the power amp and use it in bridge with just one cabinet ?

another thing, in the manual, they talk about eq clip light (and it is BAD if it blinks) but I can't see no eq clip light... could it be the output level lights ? So they should NEVER clip ?

4. Lucahost

Lucahost

Nov 12, 2005
    Italy
    any help ? :(

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001

Hi - sorry it took a while to get back to you. At this point, your best bet is to wait until the QSC gets there, run the high and low into it and see how it sounds. My guess is that it will be fine, but you won't know until then, unfortunately.

6. Lucahost

Lucahost

Nov 12, 2005
    Italy
    many thanks :) you're really kind, I appreciate it

probably the second hand QSC deal is gone, I'll have to switch to a used Crown CE2000 or a new Behringer EP2500 (QSC copy) if I can't find something else...

anyway I guess that if send both (left and right) outputs to a power amp, it will just send one of them in bridge...

7. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I'm looking at a Crown CE2000 myself, potentially. Let me know what you think of it if you get it.

Cheers!

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    ***resurrecting old thread!!!***

i'm digging this old thread back up because i'm having a similar problem...here's the story:

when i got my navigator a couple years ago, it had a custom made cable, an xlr that was coming out of the right DI connection, split into two xlr's and went into my crown poweramp...sounded great, so i didn't do anything with it...a few days ago i decided that i wanted to clean up the back of my rack, you know short patch cables shorter power cables going to the power conditioner, etc...well, i thought i would replace the custom xlr cable with two short xlr-1/4 cables going from the left/right main output into the poweramp...after all my fiddling around, the output was WEAK! i checked my biamp/stereo setting, that balance pan knob, all that stuff, but the bottom line is that the signal from the DI seems a whole lot hotter than from the main out...what's up with that? i think it was on here that i read that the main output is hotter than the left/right and recording DI's, but i disagree! i think i'm going to put that older xlr back in there...unless something is wrong...anyone? anyone?

9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i was goingto take a picture to clarify weak vs. better, but i think my wife took the camera to a birthdya party...oh well...stand by for some pics, unless you guys know what i'm talking about

10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    ok, crappy cell phone pics...the one that has the split xlr cable is the hot signal (on left), the one that has two cables coming from the seperate main outputs is the weak, crappy signal (right)

11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    this is straight from the manual:

Main outputs
    These are for hooking up to your power amplifier or amplifiers. They can
    produce up to (+ 21 dBm ) output level without clipping. This is a low
    impedance line level signal send.

Main Stereo D.I.
    These outputs are low impedance Balanced outputs. These are post all
    effects and tone. They will provide a maximum of (+16 dBm ) without
    clipping.

12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    come on guys? anyone have this problem, or notice this? heck, it may not even be a problem, and using the right/left DI's are the way to go...