eden navigator outputs (i guess a stupid questions;-)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hr_bert, Jun 5, 2003.

1. hr_bert

Jun 5, 2003
    austria, linz
    just bought a eden navigator. i want to use it with a crest audio fa 901 amp -> into a eden 410 xlt (4ohm). whats the best solution to connect preamp and amp.
    should i use the di outputs (xlr) on the preamp left and right into the left and right input on the crest audio amp. maybe i missunderstand something but it sounds strange to me to convert a stereo input signal into a bridged output signal....

i also have the stereo outputs left/right (high/low) which - as far as i understood it - should be used for biamping operation. but i do not want to use biamping. i just want to use a "full range output" (can also be mono) from the eden into the crest audio....

btw: does a good manual exist for the preamp (i only got the 12 paper manual which does not explain the preamp in details)

hope - due to my bad english - that you understand what my problem/question is.

thanx for any help
    bye herbert:confused:
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You use the line outs.
    High and low is only in biamp mode (one of the little red buttons on the front).

Schöne Grüße nach Linz :)
  3. hr_bert

Jun 5, 2003
    austria, linz
    of course i use the outputs, but there are "only":
    1) stereo output clinc left/high right/low
    2) di outputs left / right

so i am not sure what is the best way to connect these items so that i can get the best signal out as mono bridged into the 4ohm cabinet....

bye herbert

ps: liebe grüsse nach köln
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I you want to run mono out to a bridged power amp, run a line from the left XLR out of the preamp into the left channel of the power amp. Set the power amp for bridged operation and you're up and running. Its that simple. Theres no need to use the right channel of the Eden at all under this situation. Most power amps, when running bridged, only use the one input anyway.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

Great preamp! You are going to love that thing. It does take a while to get used to all of the signal routing options. I think that in addition to the left/right (hi/low) outputs and the stereo DI outs, there is also a mono "recording DI", as I recall (I don't have mine in front of me right now).

I use the stereo/bi-amp outputs to my amp. Usually, I run dual mono, so feeding both outputs to the left/right inputs on my amp allows me to control the volume of my cabs independantly. However, when I run in bridged mono mode, I just use one of the outputs. It doesn't matter which one. As long as you are not running anything through the stereo effects loops, the L/R balance knob is set at 0, and you are not in bi-amp mode, the signal out of either channel will be the same.

You could also use the mono recording DI, but I generally use that as my DI to the sound tech for FOH (I also mic my cabs, BTW).

The Navigator is a killer preamp. Between the mono effects loop, stereo effects loop, side chain effects loop, aux in, crossover, and all the above mentioned outputs, you have a ton of signal routing options. I like the side chain effects loop, as it gives you a blend knob.

One thing I will add is that if you do not set the aux in to zero and the side chain blend to something other than zero (preferrably full open), you will get a noticeable hiss. I am not sure why this occurs, but when I called Eden about the hiss, this is what they told me to do, and it worked like a charm.

Congratulations on an excellent purchase!

6. hr_bert

Jun 5, 2003
    austria, linz
    thx - i tried it in the todays rehearsal....works perfect.....i am more than satisfied...
    bye herbert