Eden Navigator pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ivanthetrble, Apr 29, 2003.

1. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Anyone have experience with this pre-amp? Kind words or general flaming?

2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Have a courtesy 'bump' on me :)

3. I bought one of these as part of my first "good" rig shortly after I returned to bass after 30 year break. I was intrigued by all the lights and knobs and jacks on the back, and constantly tweaking but never got it to sound very good. Of course my playing sucked, which was the real problem.

Got a deal on a Demeter VTBP 201 and put it in the rack and for the first time I liked the way my basses sounded. I doubt I'll ever sell the 201.

Recently, when I play through an Eden head I like the tone. I wonder if I would still have trouble getting a sound out of the Navigator.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've been using an Eden Navigator live for about two years now. Set it nearly flat, and it sounds great. Tremendously versatile, a little tweak of the EQ goes a LONG way.

You have to re-think the way you EQ an amp, that's for sure - you can't just set the bass knob to 3 o'clock and start twiddling. Just start with everything at 12:00 0'clock, and only make gradual, TINY adjustments from there.
  5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    There's no way of knowing if your EQ is flat and a slight adjustment of any of the EQ bands goes a long way. The Navigator has everything but an EQ off/bypass as do many good preamps.

Build quality is average with pots attached to the printed wireing boards, don't bump the knobs. "Studio Quality Compressor"?

Eden vib, Eden tone, balanced outs (3!)

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I picked one up about three years ago, and I absolutely love it. When I turned 30, my wife let me pick one piece of gear for my birthday, and I wanted a preamp. So I listened to a bunch of them, including the Ampeg SVP-Pro, the Alembic F-1X, a Demeter (forget the model, but one of their earlier offerings) and the Navigator. The Ampeg had a great tone, but pretty much just that one tone. The F-1X could yield some nice tones with a good bit of tweaking. The same with the Demeter. The Eden Navigator sounded phenomenal set totally flat, and with a bit of tweaking, I could get it to pretty much nail the "best" tones of the other preamps.

The Demeter might have had a bit of an edge on the warm yet tight low end thing, but the Navigator got real close, and had a tone of other options that I was looking for (compressor, crossover, flexible signal routing, etc.). Still, the Demeter was a very close #2.

The Navigator has more signal routing options than you can shake a stick at. Multiple effects loops (including side chain), alternate source mixing, tons of outputs, you name it. I am very happy with it, and like others, I pretty much leave mine set totally flat (except for the Enhance). The parametric EQ's do come in handy for feedback suppression with my upright, though. The compressor is quite good, and doesn't pump or breath like some others I have used.

I pair mine up with a PLX 3002, and this rack can handle just about any gig.

Hope this helps, Tom.