eden navigator pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacobm, Jan 16, 2003.

1. jacobm

May 31, 2002
    like alot of fellow talk bassers ive been searching for "the pre-amp" for quite somtime. i would really appreciate it yall could tell me every thing you know about the eden navigator pre amp, i will be running a music man sterling to it and have a carvin dcm2000 power amp feeding an ampeg bxt410hl cab. i would try one out, but i havnt seen any around houston, tx. thanks guys.
  2. jacobm

May 31, 2002
    i forgot to ask if this thing is rack mountable. the picture on the website led me to believe it isnt. thanks again
  3. Mines in my rack. You just need the rack ears.

Well what in particular do you want to know? It kicks butt. I just gigged tonite with it.

Its very flexible in its tonalty - a little twist of a knob goes a long way. Has a great DI for gigging. The only negative thing I'll say about it is the tube circuit, which I find does pretty much nothing to my tone. Others have put in different tubes with some success, I havent gotten that far yet, as I find its not an issue for me. Bi-amp-able, with a built in crossover.

Oh yea, and TONS of cool looking lights on the front :p

Mine runs into a QSC 1850HD poweramp and two Eden cabs.

will probably help you out too.

Hope that helps in a general way.
  4. jacobm

May 31, 2002
    can you tell me alittle about what it sounds like with all of the eq set flat. i guess "the sounds" im after are alittle cleaner than an ampeg svp but i would still like alittle dirt, to really clean or "sterile" for the tube guys. How is the compressor, is it pretty easy to use, can you get that over compressed funk sound out of it pretty good? it looked to me that it has 2 sets of eq, are those footswitchable in and out or do they compliment each other.

5. I run mine nearly flat all the time, and then EQ from my bass. It has tons of low end and plenty of mids/upper mids to cut through the mix. If you're looking for an SVP sound, this isnt it ... its better. Seriously, they are different sounds - yes you can get clean out of it.

Compressor is great. I have no experience with the funk sound you seek.

There is only one EQ - the second part you're seeing is the parabolic settings for the frequency of the mids. The EQ is not bypassable via the footswitch, although there is an "enhance" bypass which does kind of give you two different EQ settings - the enhance switch is either loved or hated by Nav owners I've noticed - personally I use it in moderation.

As with all gear, these text descriptions will do you no good whatsoever - you need to find one, and play it for a few hours.

I also have no idea what it will sound like out of your Ampeg cab.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I run an Eden Navigator pre into a Carvin DCM2000 power amp and two Aguilar cabs.

The Nav is pretty versatile in that it has a built-in crossover so you can biamp for the big places, but run full range for the smaller clubs, all with the press of a small button. The compressor is "dbx-like", works very well. I haven't had use for any of the side-chain loops, so I can't comment on that, but they are there.

The Eden line is engineered to sound well when run essentially flat. Its the first pre that I've ever used where I didn't have to boost the bass at all, its straight up at zero. You will likely need very little tone tweaking with this pre, only perhaps a tad to compensate for whatever cabs you are using. The DI out is excellent to the board.

I personally didn't care for the tube-character knob at first, but after I swapped out the 12ax7 tube with an RCA NOS 5751 tube, it really warms things up without sounding abrasive. The lounder I run it, the more I dial back the tube character knob. I typically keep it set at around 9:00 o'clock or less if I'm running louder.

The Nav isn't as sterile clean as an Alembic, Aquilar or Kern, but it isn't as dirty as an SVT-pro. Its high-tech but warm. EQ is VERY versatile, and its built solid as a tank. Mine was manufactured in '96, and I've never had a problem with it in my SKB rack.
  7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    My biggest gripe with the Navigator is that there is no absolute way of knowing if your running the EQ flat. I turned all the EQ knobs all the way to the left and the indicator lines on the knobs where at different locations. After recalibrating the knobs I get close to center but you never know for sure. And one little clicky-dicky can be to dramatic. With all the bells and whistles the WP100 has, it should have an EQ bypass for both channels.

It has two balanced outputs and a balanced DI output and an adjustable input gain with a diode indicator (a meter would be better). The fixed active passive input arangement on other preamps blows IMO. And then there's the lights. I must admit if the stage goes completly dark your able to make adjusments.

Internal build quality is very run of the mill. I've since replaced mine but I'm not gitten' rid of it...it's pre Washburn Eden and despite its shortcomeings its got that Eden vibe.
  8. Jacobm- I'm selling one, send me a PM or e-mail if you are at all interested. I've really enjoyed mine. Fat tone (set flat). you just have to stay away from the enhance knob because it scoops out all of your mids. I think that eden's pre-amp with a good power amp sounds better than the heads (which already sound great).
  9. jacobm

May 31, 2002
    hey world wide i might be intrested but i would definately have to play one first
  10. Any comments on how the pre-amp of a WT800 compares sonically to a Navigator pre-amp? Currently have a WT800 which I like alot tonally. I picked up a QSC PLX2402 for a good deal and I'm thinking of replacing the WT800 with the Eden pre.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If the nav. is anything like the pre in the WT400, it's sweet. Always did like the sound of that WT400 pre. And then I sold it! :D
  12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Jacob, if you like it, I'm sellng mine. It's dead mint with all the accessories & box. E-mail me if you like. See www.Eden-Electronics.com