Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Navigator preamp tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Howdy;
    I have an eden Navigator I like a lot…except for that using the tube character control in anything but “off” results in a truly horrible to me gritty grindy fuzz nastiness. I think the unit was made in about 1997? Perhaps it’s time to replace the preamp tube…I was hoping someone could recommend me a nice fat warm clean preamp tube that would just get fatter and warmer as I dial up the tube control, instead of getting all gritty and nasty?

Thanks, alan

2. Chef:

I'm the one who sold you the navigator. FYI, (if you didn't already take it apart) I put in a JJ's 12AX7 about a year before I sold it to you. When I bought it, it had a gorrve tubes 12AX7 in it.
    I hope any of this info helps.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Huh, thanks...I would think the JJ tube would meet my criteria...maybe I just don't like the tube control function then?

4. I used to run the tube at about 12:00 and the enhance(suck-o-meter) at about 9:00.

It sounded good with my sterling and thumb at those settings, at any level of volume.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To be honest, the Navigator is one preamp that to me, sounds virtually identical with any properly functioning tube. I tried a ton, and ended up just leaving the stock bottle in there. But, it sounds like maybe something has gone wrong with either your tube or your preamp. Try swapping out another 12AX7 (any kind) and see if this sound goes away. Your tube may have taken a jolt and become microphonic.

Tom.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  7. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Good idea, and done. I dunno why I never think of going there...