eden navigator problems....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Sep 26, 2002.

1. aarrrggghhh
    I need your help- my eden pre-amp is being stupid. I was having a serious hum problem on an in-ear gig last night, I ended up just using a countryman DI (same bass, all of the same cables). I tried everything to make it stop humming- all 3 DI outs, tried grounding/lifting, new cables, new power source, etc...
    So today I tried it out with 2 different power amps and some eden cabs. Both amps (qsc 700 watt, qsc 400watt) sounded like they were 10 watts. It felt like I couldn't give the power amps a strong signal, when I was nearly clipping on my pre-amp. I was getting a slight buzz and distorting when I played hard. so I thought- it has to be the tube. so I bought a new tube, same results. tried another new tube, same results.
    I talked with a several genius sound guys, they were all stumped.
    have you guys ever had this problem with you edens? any insight would be appreciated.

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I may have that problem. When was yours made?
  3. :) I had the same problem, I could'nt figure it out for the life of me....no volume from mains....
    I finally broke down and sent it to Eden for repair...turns out,. it was one of the direct outputs that was bad, it effected the whole operation of the unit. Got it back and have been a happy camper ever since
  4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    The Eden Navigator is a nice sounding preamp, a quick look inside reveals the products design and construction shortcomings. All the control pots and output terminations are fastend directly onto the printed wireing boards. While damage to these areas can be repaired by a authorized service station I would strongly suggest returning it to Eden for factory replacement of the effected board, especially if you suspect the damage was impact related.

Turn around time varies with Eden, my repaire took five weeks. Hope you've got a back up.
  5. 5 weeks?!? that's kind of discouraging. I'll have to figure out something.
    I think joey nailed it- I went through a different system today and the recording DI was dirty, but left and right main were clean (just with little volume and weird tone).
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't impact related- but it's not impossible.

joey- how long did it take to get yours back?

would it be ok if I took it to someone else? or should I just send it to eden? how mush will it cost (I don't have a warranty on it)?
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had the same problem. Mine went quiet, then almost totally dead. I shipped it back (under warranty) and they replaced the output FETs. They also installed 12 ferrite beads along the whole row of outputs and it works fine, if not, better. It just cost me $11. shipping. I got it back in 6 days.
    BTW, I think Vic lives overseas.Maybe Austrailia?
    So maybe it took longer for his?
  7. Unfortunatley, My repair took approx 5 or 6 weeks also( I think I lost count after the 5th week). They do great work(when they do it). At the time, I was fortunate enough to have a reserve of back up systems. Just be prepaird for in case of dealy. Not sure what's up with Eden politics. As a hobby, I like to build my own proprietary bass guitar cabs, I use the Eden EC2700 gold cast tweeter in them because of the smooth, articulate sound(Fostex horn seems real harsh to me), Anyway, I'll order them, and wait anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to get them. (It only takes two days UPS from them to me...if they ship it the same day).
    Eden makes a good competitive product, but, Someone needs to give them a good kick in keester to get better cusomer service......there are plenty of other decent competitors out there........ya hear the Eden!..........get yer *&#@$ together!...SWR has been really nice to me latley..............

Sorry, had to vent, off my soapbox!

Joey "TNT" Nahas
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Oh Oh! :eek: