Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EDEN NAVIGATOR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Oct 4, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Holy smokes

where do i begin

i just got this thing, and i'm in love already.. paired with my crest ca9 i dont think i will ever turn back!

right outta the box, without tweaking i didn't think my basses ever sounded like that. really clear lows, no muddy-ness. crisp clean highs, tight pucnhy mids...

the foot switch is awesome, when u take off the mute, it gradually brings the volume back up so nothing explodes

i'm just trying to figure out, where the best position for the knobs on the front of my ca9 are..
    its bridged so i'm only using channel A.. where should the dial be set at??

!!!! i love gear!!!! :D

i will post pics shortly..along with a better review, but for now, i gotta keep playing

eric

2. Navigator: Set the input gain so you get clip light once in a while when playing hard. Adjust tone on the amp to your liking. Adjust master volume on Nav to around where the meters are at 0 db, or rarely go into the +3 +6 and up areas.

Now adjust your power amp to get the max volume you want. Wherever that ends up is ok.

Bass should be up about all the way for these adjustments. I love my Nav too, hardly have to change any tone knobs, nothing more than a click or two. Sounds great as is.

Randy

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks, i'll try that!

4. Congrats on the Navigator! I used to have one and the sound was great. I personally could'nt stop messing with all the dials, so I had to let it go. BUT, it was a great preamp quality wise, adjustability, and with options for hookup.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's my approach as well. As for the tone settings, I generally leave everything set flat, except that I put the Tube Character knob at about noon and the Enhance knob at about 9 o'clock. I also found the compressor to be very good, and really the only one that I ever enjoyed using live. You really can't hear it kick in, and it doesn't kill your tone when it does. Nice.

That's a killer combination! The Navigator into a CA9 is a very powerful setup (in terms of both tone shaping and volume!). One additional note on EQ, with your Accugroove cabs, I probably would try bumping up the Treble a little bit - but again, that's just my personal preference.

Enjoy!

Tom.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    when i am bridging the ca9 and i want to run both cabs this is what i do.. tell me if its right..

i have a cabel going from one of the main outputs ( do i choose HI or LOW) going into channel a on the power amp. then i have have a speakon going into one cab, and a speakon into another cab..

am i doing this correctly??

eric

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    noone?

i can't have it set up correctly, because my 18 is getting no signal

eric

8. Heya Eric,

Gratz on the new pre, i love mine as well. Gets even better when you crank the valve grind knob... pure sweetness :)

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks, but no help i guess eh?

10. Nope, Sorry. Although I love my pre-power, I have no idea *** is going on.

Bump for someone else who might be able to answer :)

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If you do not have the bi-amp mode engaged on the Navigator, and your L/R balance is in the middle, then you should be able to use either main output. Run that to the input on channel 1 of the CA9. If the CA9 is in bridged mono, then you use a banana cable across the two red posts (see the markings for which is positive and which is negative). Then, you can either run one speaker cable to one cab (say, the Tri 210L), and then run another speaker cable from the Tri 210L to the Gordo, or you could plug a second banana connector into the back of the first one and run that the Gordo.

BUT, my recommendation is that you leave the CA9 in parallel mono, and run one cab off one side and the second cab of the other side. This way, you have independant gain control over each cab, and you can dial in the right mix of each cab for a given room. I don't think that you will give up any power in going with this option, but you do get more control.

Hope this helps, Tom.

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    that helps tonnes

now i just gotta crack everything open thats all

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    is paralell mono the same as " paralell"

my amp has been fitted with the internal switch...

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I believe so. You must have one of the earlier CA9's with the switch on the inside.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to PM or e-mail with any questions.

Tom.

15. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I love it when people finally try out the Nav and get turned on by it. I think it is one of THE BEST pre's out right now. I got my first one about 3 years ago and now have two.

I almost went with a DB750 about 6 weeks ago BUT my Nav and Eden WT-1000 poweramp was just as good. Different to be sure but they were on the same level. DB750 more tube warmth but less articulation. Eden rig just the opposite. Less tube warmth but far more articulation.

I agree with Tom about running your cabs with one being powered by each side. Lots of control for you there. I run two Eden D410XLT cabs so I bridge my WT-1000 and run them together. The power is so damn scary. I ran an El Whappo like that with the Whappo at 4 ohms. Not nearly as louf as the two Eden 410's but very loud nothing the less.

As with Tom feel free to PM or Email me with any questions. So far you are doing everything right and the guys on here are dead on. Gotta love it.

16. Is there a seperate bridge output speakon connector you were using? Check owners manual to see if it requires a special cable for biamp operation, I've heard rumors they are wired differently. The output in bridged mode is +1, +2, none of the grounds are used, that would be why. I'm not sure why the guys designing the amp wouldn't just wire the bridge connector so a normal speakon would work. That's how my SWR is wired, a normal 2 conductor speakon works. 4 conductor won't fit.

If it has banana jacks, connect to the two red posts for bridged mode.

Randy

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks everyone

i just had to take apart my whole rack in order to flick the switch over to paralell mode

now, tomorrow i plan on getting another planet waves banana - speakon cable..

then i can fiddle around with some more ****..

thanks!!!

does anyone ever use MSN messenger?? i use it tonnes, and its super easy to talk to people!

thanks

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I know what you are talking about, but this is not an issue with the CA9, as the only speaker output connections are the banana connectors. There are two sets of connectors (one for each channel), and in bridged mono mode, you use the red post from each channel (it indicates which one is positive and which is negative in bridged mono).

Tom.

19. I didnt' read close enough, I thought he posted somewhere he wasn't getting any output from bridge mode, and I saw the speakon connector but somehow missed it was a "banana-> speakon cable"

Randy

20. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    ok, so today i went out and bought a banana clip end, and made a speakon-banana clip cable out of another piece of stuff i had.. it works perfectly. and i did a right noice job too..

so i guess now i am gettin 900 watts to my 2 10 (4 ohms) and 600 watts to my 18 ( i wish i couldda had 900 going to this puppy too...

anyways, it sounds SOOOO MUCH BETTER>...when i originally posted this thread, i thought it sounded great.. but silly me, my 18 wasnt even making a peep!! LOL

you guys are right, its nice to have individual volumes for both cabs..i can see how it makes for adapting to rooms easier...nonetheless i really love this set up... it can kick the crap outta big gigs, use the cabs individually as stand alones, and i will be getting a ampeg porta bass here soon too!

i'm soo pumped.. i can't wait to play a live gig somewhere and blow the doors off... the sound is soo much clearer than my wt-600, its more articulate, versatile... the eden navigator replaces a WHOLE MESS of rack equipment. its all built in...

-overdrive
    -compressor
    -a very power ful eq
    - more ins and outs than i'll probably ever use
    -its quiet
    - boots up quick
    - has sweet flashing lights ( bling factor)
    -light
    -footswitch is super nice to have

i could go on and on..

my reccomendation, is to just buy one!!!!!!