Eden & Octave Pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrockR, Jul 9, 2019.

1. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Awhile back I posted about running a Meatbox and MXR Bass Octave Deluxe pedal and thanks to this forum, I’ve got it dialed in how I like it. Now I have a new question.

I’m currently running an Eden Metro with additional Eden D210XLT cabinet. Loving the tone and clarity however I’ve noticed that tones below low E aren’t happening. So now I’m at a crossroads...

Is there an Eden cabinet like the 1x15 I could use instead of the 210XLT to get those low tones? Do I go with a different cabinet manufacturer altogether? I’ve got a line on an Eden World Tour head if I wanted to take the Metro out of the equation. I’m looking for some advice on how to get those deep octaves out of my gear. We are a power trio so I need my bass as thick as possible for the guitar solos. TIA all.

2. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    If you want to stick with Eden, swap the extra 210 XLT with a 210 XST, and you will probably be happier with the super low range. Eden's XLT series is very aggressively mid-focused, so they introduced the XST for those who prefer really full lows.

BrockR likes this.
  3. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    I would guess that if you're not getting the desired low end you seek, the issue probably has more to do with the head than that XLT cab. Other more knowledgeable folks will be chiming in soon (and I'd wager that the HPF acronym will show up soon, too).

What caught my eye was the 'power trio' mention. I've found that we have two ways of dealing with the situation where the overall sound drops off or feels rather empty when the guitar goes into a solo - if it sounds ok, just go with it - but otherwise:

1 - play more smoothly; whether your line is busy or not, have each note go all the way to the next note - the opposite of choppy I guess. If you think of what a rhythm guitar track looks like on a computer screen, it generally has very few peaks and valleys, the amplitude just looks like a jagged line that doesn't vary much (as opposed to how a snare drum track looks - huge difference between the amplitude peaks and valleys). Bass tracks usually look like something between those two extremes, try to make your bassline "look" as much like a rhythm guitar track as you can. Or

2- put MORE empty space between notes/phrases in your bassline; and use the point where you cut off a note act as a rhythmic element (rather than playing another note). I know, this is counter-intuitive, but in a lot of instances it is very effective.

WRT effects, I've found that an overdrive or distortion effect is better at getting more of a rhythm guitar profile than an octave pedal. And when I use it, it's all out/full throttle, I don't go subtle.

Anyway, I know this all a bit off-topic as my response is more about playing approach than amps/cabs, but thought I'd throw it out there fwiw.

4. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Trust me the effects part is covered. It’s the loss of those super lows I’m concerned about. My effects chain is:

Order from input to output: Boss TU-3 tuner, Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, MXR bass compressor, Electro-Harmonix (EH) Soul Food, DOD Meatbox Subsynth, MXR Octave Deluxe, EH Big Muff Pi bass distortion, MXR Smartgate, MXR bass chorus deluxe with phaser, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal and Sansamp Bass Driver DI. All powered by 2 T-Rex Fuel Tank Jrs. Yes I could’ve used one power distribution block but they were bought at different times after the pedals got out of hand LOL.

5. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    Whoa. Nevermind.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You’re using all that stuff and expecting a 2x10 to cover stage volume. Seriously, what do you expect, miracles? :banghead:

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    "I’m currently running an Eden Metro with additional Eden D210XLT cabinet." Pretty sure this means he has a 210 combo amp with an additional 210 cab.

Inara likes this.
  8. I'll confirm the XST210, I've been using one for years with a 5 string. I'd suggest checking out the mega HPF Thread too.

Inara likes this.
  9. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually I’m expecting the 2nd 2x10 to bolster the stage volume. The DI out to the mains pumps the volume up for the club in general. I appreciate the feedback but as I said in the original post I’m using a Metro which has 2x10 built in plus the additional 2x10 so no, not miracles just tone...

Inara likes this.
  10. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    My other option is that I can add my Ampeg 410-HLF Classic (pre-Crate) as my secondary cab. I’m trying to cut down my stage gear to speed up load-in/setup times and overall weight. Trying to balance small cabs/big noise option that I think a lot of bassist struggle with.

11. Your octaver produces sub lows you can't get from your cabs. If you put a HPF into the chain after the octaver it will make it much more listenable.

12. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Appreciate the comment. I’ll have to read the HPF thread as I’m confused as to how my cabinets won’t produce a sound from a pedal but if I add another pedal they will. Seems like the cabs would have to be capable in order for it to happen.

13. Speakers struggling with super lows make distortion out of them instead. The filter takes out the super lows.

You can't buy too many cabs that get low enough loud enough to produce the 40hz output of your octaver on your 2nd fret E of D string. Even you did spend the big bucks to do it you could easily find it undesirable.

14. Your cabs can not do what you want. Sell them and get a rig that can.

This is where the infamous Eden Creased Cones came from in the late 90's and early 2000's. A lot of people were trying to get a lot of lows out of those cabs and they ended up creasing the cones instead. Many people thought, "It is an Eden so it can take it".
    Nope!

BrockR likes this.
  15. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any suggestions on what cabinets do? I can research of course but I’m interested in what you suggest can do it.

16. BrockR

BrockR

Jan 24, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Also I’ve an Ampeg SVT3Pro head and an Eden World Tour 800. Either of these better or worse for that?

17. It's the speakers and what you expect to hear that is at odds with the physics of sound production. There are quite a few threads on ''my quest for 30Hz B string fundamental'' that have been shot down up and sideways over the years. Read those. It can be done but highly unlikely you will because of the mammoth cabs and amps needed.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021