Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden or Aguilar, Better Reputation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Eden

33 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. Aguilar

73 vote(s)
    68.9%
  1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is sort of a random question with not much behind it, but I wanted to get everyone's subjective opinions as to out of these two companies, who do you think has a better reputation for making fine Bass related products. This relates to their abilities to make amps, pre-amps, speaker cabs, speakers...etc
    Just think of the company as a whole, when you hear the words Eden or Aguilar. Which is the one that has that gut feeling of superiority?
    I've heard wonderful things about both.
    Just your opinions and maybe experiences with both.

2. I've owned two Eden WT300's, a D210T, a WP100 preamp, and a Metro, plus one Aguilar 4x10 cab. At this point, Aguilar definately has more prestige.

I've got no complaints about any of the Eden gear I had, but my first WT300 was a very early one, and the later amps after they jumped up production seemed a bit more sloppily put together. Also, the future quality is a big question mark now that Washburn has bought them.

My $.02, and no offense intended to any Eden fans!

Mike

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I give - My Ag preamp sets atop two Eden cabs.

I like the school of thought that Ag employs --- If it sounds damn fine to begin with, you don't need 2 dozen knobs. That appealed to me.

Either way you go, how can you lose??? Excellence is excellence.

4. So, far I can't say anything good about Eden's Customer Service. They tell you that everything will be alright, they take your credit card info for replacement parts, and then NOTHING HAPPENS!!!! :mad:

I have no expericence with Aguilar - maybe I should!!! :confused:

--joe http://www.pieceofcandi.com/

5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree with the previous post. Eden's service has always been somewhat poor. Their general response to questions or problems, via phone or email, was slow at best.

I've owned 2 Aguilar preamps, and never needed to contact them for anything.

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Aguilar has by far the finest customer service I've ever experienced. I turned my DB750 on at a gig and although everything looked okay...no sound. I did a thorough troubleshoot to no avail. I emailed Aguilar the next day (Sunday), and by 11 am on Monday I had a couple of the cats emailing and calling me as if I were Gary Willis.

It turned out to be a busted tube that probably occured when I accidently dropped the amp :oops: , and yet not once did they let me feel like it was my fault. They just walked me through opening up the amp (most places would insist you ship it to them for repair and if you attempt it yourself, well you've just voided the warranty) and replacing the tube, and all was well.

Scott Shiraki even called me a few days later to make sure everything was a-ok :D .

7. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    My WT-400 sets atop two Aguilar cabs. :)

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, and also, hasnt Eden been "bought out"? makes me leery of how good the stuff will now be. :(

and tho, Aguilar's great and all, i'm sick of the super inflated price hike they've been on the last couple months. :rolleyes:

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gee.........
    well i still have my wt-400 and think its tha bomb
    i was really hot on eden till i tried epifani and bergantino for cabs
    they made the eden's lo mid bump sound "artificial"
    aguilar makes decent preamps but i tend to like demeter and alembic better
    their poweramp is wonderful, but so is demeter's
    on the aggie cabs, they all sound a bit "soft" to me, not a hell of a lotta mids
    but i own a 1x12
    use your ears i guess

10. moog_pt

moog_pt Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Lisboa, Portugal
    To Craig Garfinkel: You mean Scott Shiraki, as in Bass Player Magazine's Scott Shiraki, or am I confused here? Thanks.

11. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Aguialrs take amps out of those 2 and almost most but eden makes crazy cabs and ****.

12. Wow, I didn't expect the poll results to be so one-sided! I've got an Eden Navigator and 210XLT, and an Aggie 210 and 112 (how's that for neutrality!?) I usually gig with the two 210s (and Navigator of course), and I'm very happy with both. I suppose I slightly prefer the Aggie and I'd have all Aggie cabs if I could, but I can't afford either of these brands new so I "settle" with the used gear that crosses my path..."settling" for Eden works for me :D

I gotta agree with rickbass however, the Navigator has too damn many knobs! I like the sound I get out of it though, and I just leave most of them alone and try not to let them confuse me...so what if my rig looks like it has a little boxy Christmas tree on top? :p

13. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I cursed and didnt realize it, stay off crack kidz.

14. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I owned an Aguilar DB 359 and the tone was great but I had problems with it. The customer service was very good. They fixed the amp . I later traded for something else. I would not currently recommend Aguilar because of the recent price increases. They were expensive before, but now the prices for the Amps and pre-amps are enormous.

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Yup, that's him moog...

He's Aggie's point man on the left coast (San Francisco). Great cat. He left BP some time ago, was working for Modulus for a time, and was instrumental in the design of their VJ (vintage jazz style) bass. He's apparently a much-in-demand repair/luthier as well. Quite a resume, huh?

16. I understand folks being a bit upset about the recent Aggie price increases. However, the question isn't "Which is the best value?" or "Are they overpriced?", but "Which has the best reputation?".

Mike

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    very true, mikeZ,

but when a guy starts jackin' his prices ad nauseum, it'll hurt said reputation... oh well...

18. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    when it comes to rep, how important is it really? doesnt it come down to what tone you prefer best? demeter has a pretty decent rep for making great pre's but i dont like the way they sound so i aint buyin'.

19. I don't think so. Folks expect to pay a premium for a product that they percieve as "superior". It doesn't seem to have hurt the reputations of Alembic or Fodera--they're still generally viewed as very high quality, whether folks think they're overpriced or not.

Mike

20. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    I agree that cost doesn't really, and shouldn't, affect a company's reputation. In our case as bassists, it's all about great tone. A company's rep should be based on their ability to deliver that great tone, not what we're individually willing to pay.

If the Aguilar stuff is what sounds better to you than anything else you've heard, then it's worth whatever you're willing to spend to get it.

Don't take price increases personally...it's all about supply and demand.

Personally, I'd rather see Aguilar raise their prices to whatever level it will take for them to continue to be the small, personal, truly hand-built operation that they are, instead of becoming the next Eden or SWR.