1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden or Aguilar...simple

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jc_riffs, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jc_riffs

jc_riffs

Oct 8, 2011
    Hi guys. Just after a general opinion from some other players. I am selling my SWR rig and have been offered an Eden WT800 and D410XLT for £1000. Is that a fair price? Now do I go for the Eden, which I know is good gear or do I try and fork out towards an aggy rig?

All suggestions and comments will be helpful. Cheers

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    What do you want this rig to do for you? Your sound goals?
    Which SWR rig did you have?

3. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    Im not a huge Eden expert but,

What year, i.e. US made Eden (pre 2008 I believe) or the overseas Eden? The US made is much more wanted than the newer overseas gear.

What tone are you going for? Are you more of a HiFi player, or are you going for a more tubey vibe?

IME, you can get a lot of great clean/Hifi tones out of Eden whereas I always felt Aguilar had more of a tubey/one dimensional sound.... but is just me and YMMV.

4. jc_riffs

jc_riffs

Oct 8, 2011
    I have an swr 750x, Goliath III and son of Bertha 1x15. I believe that the Eden head is the wt800A version and has the banana plugs on the rear panel, so I'm guessing it's a early model.
    I like my sound to be thick and and very balanced, but it is also important for mids and highs to cut through when slapping. I think the Eden rig might be a steal for £1000

5. domestique

domestique

Sep 5, 2011
    PA
    What is a new rig going for over in England? Over in the states that rig would be around $2,500 which converts to 1,591 GBP.

It is not a bad price depending on the condition.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Want help making that rig you have sound fat and warm?

A string change may get you way there. Play your bass through a lot of rigs. If you hear the same thing it could be your bass/strings.
    Try all this with just your 4x10. You may be losing some warmth with phasing combing issues. Just try it. I haven't cost you any money. Except the strings:) DRs Sunbeams are warm and fat.
    Dial those tweeters to barely on.
    Crank that pre way up then dial Master to your needs.
    Try a NOS Sylvania. $35. tops.
    No eq. Hear your bass and then subtract bass to add treble and vice versa.
    No aural enhancer or not past 11:00. Tone suck!
    No limiter.
    Good luck!:)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Eden is going to have more tonal versatility than the Aguilar (if you're talking about a DB750/751). The Eden tone stack is about as good as it gets. The price sounds good to me. The WT800/D-410XLT is a marriage made in heaven. It will sound better than your SWR rig and requires almost no tweaking from "flat."

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Your 750x would sound great with just the 410xlt.

I hear Aguilar as very similar to swr, just slightly furrier. Eden is pretty different, lots of low and high mids, more colored and aggressive. I've always liked swr/Eden mix n match pairings, a little more balanced.

9. Flaky Tuna

Flaky Tuna

Aug 15, 2009
    It's simple. Kill the Eden.

10. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Eden is more versatile, but I just became an Aguilite and I'm not looking back. The Dude that started Eden, just started a new company. Right now I know they're primarily Cabs but who knows he might get into the Amp market again. Kinda how Fender made G&L after he sold the fender company. Look up DNA Cabs

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    David says he'll have his amp on the street by early May. It's 1200 watts, solid state, plenty of knobs. It's called the "Helix."

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Great rig for a good price?

I'd snap it up and if you don't like it then you can always save up for the difference while you gig it and then flip it for the same or not much different when you've found the rig you are looking for...