Eden Or Alembic? What to Buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grooveguru, May 24, 2001.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I'm thinking about retiring my GK 400RB in favor of either an Eden preamp or an Alembic F-1x preamp? I'm set power ampwise, I just need a good sounding preamp. I'll be using the following basses with whatever I get. Alembic Mark King, Steinberger XL-2 and a Fender P-bass. I need some help guys?
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've owned both and both sound great. However, the Eden had too much capability for what I needed....I'm one of those "low knob count" guys. It'll get most any tone known to man. I loved it, but eventually traded it for an Alembix F1X. The Alembic is a much simpler preamp, but be aware the the tone controls function differently, using a "boost only" type arrangement, whereas the Eden's tone controls are boost-cut. The Alembic is also only 1 rack space as opposed to 2 spaces for the Eden, so be aware of that if space is a consideration. Both have nice clean DIs, but the Alembic's is on the front panel for easier access. The Eden has a nice footswitch that allows boost, mute, and some eq functionality to be controlled from the floor Personally, I think the Eden had a bit fatter tone, but the Alembic's is cleaner and quieter. Both are great, but I prefer the Alembic for it's simplicity.
  3. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks for everyone's help. I'll probably go with the Alembic as well!
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

Go with the F-1X and an SF-2.

I have an Essence and an XL-2 and it suits them both perfectly.