Eden or ampeg>???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FearandLoathing, Dec 17, 2001.

1. which would sound better/ louder,
    SVT-Pro or Eden WT-400
  2. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    My vote, FWIW: Eden. Don't really know much about the Ampeg. But I do the Eden, and it's good stuff.

My $0.02
  3. Eden, unless you get the all tube SVT-AV or all tube SVT Classic.
  4. progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    easy E D E N . but that's just me. Depends on the tone u are looking for. Try them both out. Eden is a smaller company so the attention to detail might be a little bit better. Plus customer service is top notch with smaller companies.

Giants like AMPEG manufacture so many amps a month who knows! but seriously try an EDEN out. I use to own an SVT 4 and only had it for 3 months. Wasn't impressed with it....
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Louder? That is just a matter of watts, eq and the number of speakers.

As for sound, Edens and Ampegs sound different. One is not better than the other despite what the EdeNazis will have you believe. Go to a store and try each brand out.

FWIW, Eden customer service is actually considered to be middling because they are a small company trying to service a larger client base than they are used to.
  6. They each are generally known for a different type of sound, and I have to say I agree with this.

Ampeg's, and I've owned a few, are known to be a little coarser sounding, growl they call it. They excel at low-mid frequencies and have more of what some people call warmth.

Eden products sound more "modern", and excel at lows and highs and high-mids more. They also sound cleaner. I prefer this tone, after all these years. Both are well built. Some will tell you the only good Ampeg is a 70's Ampeg; I tend to disagree, as I've had 70's and 90's. To be sure, there's nothing like the sound of an old, all-tube B-15 Portoflex, warm and juicy.

that is all....

7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    what ampeg are you talking about?
  8. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Few months ago I changed my old Swr sm 400s:for a couple of days I had few doubts between Eden and ampeg too.
    I think ampeg is a very good amp(I was interessed in a svt3 pro):it is warm,and quite versatile;but Eden,is just the best amp in the world for my tastes and needs.I have a WT500:I have any kind of sound I want,and even more and more;and they are all beautifull.It can be hi-fi sounding with enhanced lows and tranparent highs;or very mid-sounding just tourning one knob.
    I could go on and on:I could never spend too much words to say how much I love this head!
    any kind of sound they are all beautifull
  9. both are good quality amps, i just like eden more. the parametrics are far better on the eden, and allow more tone shaping than the ampeg. two very different sounds, though i have never met an eden i don't like, can't say that about ampeg.
    as far as the ampeg classic someone wrote about, just plan on re-tubing the amp every time you bump it hard, it falls over in your trunk going to a gig/practice. or when it just feel's like it. sure, nothing beats the tone of the old style 'pegs, but retubing it can cost several hundered dollars, and you never know they're going bad till they do. solid state power is the way to go, just keep a spare 12ax7 tube in your gig bag for your preamp, just in case. i haven't had a problem with mine after 3 year's, but it's cheap insurance.
    later, kevin...................................................................
  10. I don't know what tubes you've been using but I think you might be overstating the retubing thing. Tubes need to take very hard knocks to cause damage unless they're warm. I've seen SVT's dropped off forklifts onto concrete floors and still work fine. They will need to be retubed periodically, depending on usage, but what you're saying is a bit extreme. A properly taken care of SVT (ie frequent biasing) will only have to be retubed about once a year if it's being gigged constantly (like on big tours), considerably less frequent than that with less usage. Decent tubes generally don't just up and croak for no reason. That kind of tube failure is about as frequent as power transistor failures in SS amps: not often but it happens. If you lose a tube in an SVT all you have to do is pop out its mate and keep on playing. If you lose a power transistor then it's goodnight for the amp and a serious repair bill, not to mention blown up speakers unless the amp has very good DC protection.
    There certainly is an extra commitment that comes with owning a tube amp, but it ain't that bad;)

As for Eden VS Ampeg? It depends on what Ampegs we're talking about. Build quality and component -wise Eden is definately superior to SLM era Ampeg. This doesn't hold true for old Ampegs. The build quality and components of the old SVTs is on a par with, or better than that of anything built today.
    As for sound, I do really like Edens, but for me no Eden (or anything else except maybe Aguilar) can compete with a vintage SVT tone-wise. I'm not real fussy about the SLM Ampegs, but tone is very subjective so you people need to play them for yourselves to find out what you dig...