Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden or Bag End?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jan 28, 2002.

1. I'm either going to get a Eden 2x15XLT or 2 15 Bag-ends. I'd like to hear your comments and experiences either of them. I'll probably be running an Ampeg SVT into them.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well right off the bat, I can tell you that the Bag Ends will be much more portable. Portability is almost as important as tone, and for some, its even more important. That's why you don't see everyone lugging around four Ampeg SVT 8x10s!

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    At the sake of being repetitious...BAG END.

I've had the D12-D and I'm going to get another to replace the one that I had. The Bag is conservatively rated at 400/800 watts and I'm pretty certain that the Eden is only rated at 600 watts max. The Bag End D12 is much easier to carry since it is a taller and more narrow cab. The Bag End warrenty is 6 year and Eden's is 2 years. The only downside on the D12-D is that it only comes as a 4 ohm configuration. Also, the Bag End may be weak if you are looking for a cab that excels for slapping since it has no horn. But for finger-style it is one of the best.

Just IMHO!;)

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I was thinking about picking up bag end's s15-d cabinet until I went and checked one out. It is actually a nice sounding cab but I play 5 string and there was a very noticable dropoff in volume when playing below low E. If I played 4 string I think I would own one of these cabs. They are portable, loud and sound very nice- they just were not designed with the 5 string in mind.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cruise is right...pretty much win/win.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I 'wuv my S15-D, and want another quickly. Can anyone lend me $400 for a few years? :D

7. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I've owned my BE 15 since '92 and through all the speakers I've owned (SWR, Trace, GK, Acme, Hartke), that wee lil' BE 15 is consistantly my fav'. Will possibly sell my Acme 2x10's for a couple of those sweet BE 4x10's...hmmmm

So, my vote is for the BE cab. A 2x15 would KILL your back! (unless you have roadies).

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The D215XLT is actually one of the easiest Edens to load in/out due to its height (you can tip it over a tailgate and slide it in a truck, for instance) and its tilt-back design with wheels on the rear. My back is always worse when I horse around the D410XLT as opposed to when I haul the D215XLT.

9. I know you shouldn't speak about what you don't know about, but, not knowing either of the cabs, I thought that just about any time you had comparable cabs (2 15 inch speakers in this case), that the single 15's in their own cabinets would be louder than 2 15s in a single cabinet? I know I heard that somewhere on TB.

10. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    OOOPS!:eek: I read the subject line wrong. I have 12's stuck in my mind. I was thinking 2x12! Well the D12 is really cool.

Man, go for 2 S15-D's. Lots of flexibility when you can either take one or both cabs depending on the venue or practice spot. Each cab is easily carried in one hand. They are built like a brick ___house. I use my S15X-D with an Eden WT-800. That little puppy rocks.

11. Williebee

Williebee

May 4, 2001
    Either cab will fit the bill. The 215XLT is definetly lighter than the 410XLT and easier to move. Nice size and weight distribution. If you can, play them side by side and all questions will be answered. Good Luck!

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bag End. I would put my cabinets up against anything on the market. I love them.

Without getting into the super super hi fi market, Bag End is tops, IMO. Eden, though, is second (again, IMO), so you really CAN'T go wrong. But Eden 15s aren't nearly as punchy or portable as BEs, and they don't even has as good of a bass response, either! Bag End all the way.

13. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Although I have never had the opportunity to play the Bag Ends, I own the 215xlt, and am incredibly pleased with it. Along with killer low end response (the thing eats up the low B of a Modulus Q5), it is surprisingly clear in the higher registers. I feel that loud, punchy, and articulate are good words to describe this cab (which, I guess, are good words to describe just about any Eden cab, IMO). But again, having never played the BEs, I can't make an adequate comparison. Oh, and as far as moving it, I find it to be much easier than one would think. Between the tilt back wheels and three handles, its pretty easy to maneuver.

Regards,

Davo

14. what's the retail price of a Bag End S15-D?

15. $365 at Chuck Levin's.

16. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yeah, I was there at Chuck Levin's last summer. Pretty cool place and best deal around on Bag End stuff. Man, if you are in Virginia then you are just a hop-skip-jump away from Wheaton, MD.:)

17. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000

Do you have a phone number for Chuck Levin's?

18. Go to www.wmcworld.com

19. cool... i have a strong feeling that one of those is in my future...

20. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, here's a question for all of you: I keep hearing people rave about the Bad End's bass response, yet their website states that 50Hz is the lowend response (S-15D). Granted, specs aren't everything, but still...what's the deal here?

By the way, Eden's single 15" cabinents are rated from 50Hz (-2dB) to 46Hz (-2dB), which is better - and their ratings are pretty good at -6dB as well (31Hz and 38Hz respectively).