Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden or EBS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andreas_bass, Nov 28, 2000.

1. Hi!
    I've got an EBS-rig (EBS-1v2, EP-800, EBS 4x10") that I think sounds OK. I'm looking for a better clean sound.
    I've heard so much about Eden but I've never tried a Eden-rig , because here in Sweden, the musicstores don't sell Edenstuff.(Strange!)
    What is the sound-difference between Eden and EBS (-1v2)?
    Does the BassPOD-emulation of Eden sound like Eden (the more economic way to get the sound)?
    Grateful for answers! Thanks!

Andreas

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Eden over EBS? Not IMO! At least with the Fafner. It had one of the best sounds I have ever heard. I also prefer EBS cabs over Eden, the few I tried were the loudest I have ever heard by far, they also had a very good deep bass response.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, I'm a big Eden fan. But I've played through a Fafner over at Bass Alone, and I was impessed. If I ever got dissatisfied with Eden, I'd look at a Faf first.

4. I A/B'd the EBS Fafner head -vrs- the Eden WT-600 into a neutral cabinet and I chose the Eden although it was a very close pick. The 2 are among the best on the market. The 3 band sem- parametric mids on the Eden was the tie breaker. Either way, you can't lose!!!

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I TOTALLY agree! :D:D:D I have the Fafner and EBS 4x10. The cabinet has the highest sensitivity rating (111 db) that I'm familiar with (there may be others, but none that I know of). That means that it's a really loud, efficient cabinet. The only downfall is that the 4x10 EBS makes only goes down to 70 Hz. I'm not sure, but I think the low E string is 70 Hz. If that's the case, then it really doesn't matter that the cabinet doesn't go lower.

But, the Fafner is one amazing sounding head, and really cuts through! :D:D

I've never tried the Eden, but know a lot of people swear by them. I will tell you, though, that versatility is not an issue with the Fafner. It'll probably do everything you'd ever want, from clean to very crunchy; from very scooped mids to a very mid-focused sound!:D

I tried the bass pod and liked it. I probably won't get it, since I'm already happy with my amp. But, I'd recommend giving it a whirl if you're curious...

6. Thank you for all your replies!

I went to my friend's school today. They had an Eden-rig which I tested. I LOVED IT!!!
    It was a WT-400 with a 4x10" cab sounded more than great. I just got to have that sound.
    I have right now an EBS 4x10", and I was planning to buy a EBS 1x15". Is there a big difference between the Eden-cabs and the EBS-cabs? Do I need to switch my EBS-cab to Eden, or is it enough to buy only the Eden Navigator to get the "Eden-sound"? Very thankful for answers!

Andreas

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Andreas -

This is one of those situations in which we're talking about two amps that are the best of the best. You wouldn't be disappointed with either one. Preference for one or the other at this level is entirely subjective. If you like the Eden, go for it. I play Eden, but if I had started with EBS, I'd probably be disinclined to change to Eden. As it is, the reverse is true. I don't covet EBS at all. Let's see ... how many more ways can I say the same thing? I'm being repetitious and redundant.

I assume you know the Navigator is a pre-amp only, and requires a separate power amp. Will you be using the WT-1000 with the Navigator? I don't know if you'll get the "Eden sound" using EBS cabs ... probably not. The Eden D-410XLT has a pretty distinctive (and awesome) sound.

The POD is close, but no cigar. And that's playing the POD through the Eden, LOL.

8. Thanks Munjibunga for your reply!

I've got the EBS EP-800 (2x400W) poweramp. Would that change the sound, or would I have to but the Eden poweramp?
    I don't know if the brand of the poweramp would affect the sound.

Andreas

9. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Everything affects the sound, to some degree. What exactly don't you like about the EBS?

I've been dying to try a 1-V2. I've heard so many great things about them, but no one on this board has used that model. And there are no dealers anywhere remotely near me.

I saw a GREAT deal on a demo model, but it was mail order - sight unseen. And it got scooped up right away anyway.

Edens are everywhere over here, on the other hand, and most people seem to love them. I have to say they get a warm, balanced sound but it doesn't blow me away.

As has been mentioned, the Eden has a flexible eq. I've been trying to find out more about the EBS 1-V2 tone filter system. How easy is it to use, and how effective are the "boost only" controls? Rawn at R2 Music says you can really "build" your sound.

10. I like the 1v2 a lot! But I'm looking for the ultimate sound (doesn't everybody?). When I tried the Eden-rig yesterday I got that Wow-experience. So I'm checking what the differences are between Eden and EBS.

The 1v2 sounds more flat than Eden. Not the mid-cut curve like Eden. I don't know if that's good or bad. I like the Eden as well.
    When you set the EQ-controls 12o'clock, it sounds pretty flat. Just a little coloring. (I think the new EBS-1 Classic sounds more flat.) When you set all the controls to the bottom left. It doesn't sound anything. You have freq.-controls for all three cut/boost controls. You can also mix your EQ signal with the the flat one. That sounds very good.
    You have also a brightness-control. That's the highest treble. Good for slappers.
    I think the Eden EQ is more flexible, but you can get a pretty good sound from the 1v2 too.
    If you have the chance to test it. Do that. Maybe you like the 1v2 more than Eden.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    My two cents:

I can just say, I really like the EBS tone filter system. It works basically the same on all EBS amps.... It's efficient enough to let you shape a really good tone quickly and easily, and yet it's so simple it's virtually impossible to lose track of your tone. Sweet simplicity. :)

I like the bright filter, it gives some of the "fresh string"-timbre back (yes, it's cheating, but I wear my strings till they break). I went from a 7-band EQ (Trace head) to this (not even completely semi-parametric EQ), and I couldn't be happier. In fact, since the EBS sound is virtually flat, it needs very little EQ tweaking overall.

If I had the money (and good use for the stuff), I would get myself a nice fat EBS rig (Fafner + 2 x EBS311 cabs (1x15", 1x10" + tweeter) or something like that), but now I have to do with my little old Taurus combo (which also is very good, BTW).

I have quit searching for the best sound for my money (I bet there's gear even more terrific sounding, but I doubt it's worth the dough), I will definitely stick with EBS for a long time.

The bottom line: you can't go wrong with EBS! At least that's what I feel now... :rolleyes:

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've personally never tried Eden gear. As much good as I've heard, I am really intrigued. But, with the Fafner and EBS 4x10 cab that I have, I am able to get the tone that I like. In addition, I find that it's pretty easy to use, compared to other amps out there. I used to have the Trace 12-band eq, which proved to be a nightmare to dial in my sound:(.

I personally prefer a flatter eq tone to a scooped midrange. In my opinion, that's where the definition of my sound comes from. And, I agree about the brightness controls the Fafner has. It gets a cool "sparkle" on the :cool:high end that I've not been able to find often with other amps.

13. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Amps, yes; preamps, no. The Fafner has active (?) bass and treble, with semi-parametric mid. I think the combos are the same design. It's supposed to be easy to get a good sound "on the fly".

The preamps have a filter system which is like a 3 band semi-parametric, but does not cut - only boosts. They also have the "bypass" which gives you flat all the time. The Version 1 Classic has a more subtle filter section (for eq novices).

I try not to over-eq, but sometimes feel the need to remove that one "annoying frequency". As far as I know, the EBS1-V2 isn't really built to do this. But the few people I've talked to that have experience with this model say the tone is "to die for".

Of course, they're made in Sweden and the grass is always greener on the other side. Note to Andreas: I live in Minnesota, where Edens are made :)

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    The frequency of the low E is 41 Hz. But frequency response specs of cabinets can be interpreted in different ways. I think the EBS 4X10 is designed to be used with a sub cabinet, but some may find it does the job fine by itself. I've never had the opportunity to try one, myself.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the clarification! I do know that with standard tuning, even a 5-string (Low "B") does not go down to 20 Hz, which is about as low as I've seen cabinets go. To me, it makes no difference. I like the lows, don't get me wrong. But, my preference for sound is that it is defined mostly in the mids. In live situations, I can use my amp for stage volume and as a monitor, but I generally have the luxury of having some sort of a PA system equipped with subwoofers to get those lows out. In a practice setting, I haven't had problems with my amp not going low enough.

If I wanted to, I could go out and get a 15" EBS cabinet :eek: to cover more of the full-range. I do drop "D" sometimes, and my amp reproduces that note quite well! So, no problems here. If people want to complain that they don't like it, go buy something else. But, I'm VERY happy with my rig:D:D:D

16. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    RAM,

The B string is somewhere around 30 Hz.

You bring up a few points that may be obvious to some, but not all readers.

The overtones of the low notes are present through the entire register. And a cabinet with a low response of 70 Hz can still produce the low B, although perhaps not as loudly or clearly. Or should I say: not clean at high volumes?

But as we all know, one cab may sound "lower", "louder" or "fuller" than another, regardless of the manufacturer's specs.

Room acoustics, speaker placement and PA support can make a huge difference in your perceived sound on stage. The bass players who may miss the thumping low-lows of that EBS cabinet (for example) may be the ones who play on giant stages and/or use little or no PA to "fill the room" with bass. Putting your amp in a corner increases low end response. Setting it on a chair in the middle of the room decreases lows.

Maybe a stage amp doesn't need to go down to 30 Hz if the PA DOES. That sound person better turn up the bass nice and loud, though :)

17. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    When you tried the Eden, was it playing by yourself, or with a band? One thing I've found when searching for a bass is that instruments that I think sound great when I'm noodling by myself sometimes don't cut it with other instruments...and vice versa. I'm sure the same thing applies to amps. The key seems to be to have something that gets loud enough, pushes enough air, and has enough eq to make up for deficiencies in the *room* you're playing (hopefully the bass doesn't have a serious lack of tone).

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Quite true maestrox!;)

The most important thing IS how the amp (and of course instrument) sounds in a band setting, given some exceptions, of course, such as playing solo, and in some recording situations.

I didn't try out Eden products when I purchased my rig. I did try out SWR (didn't like it very much):(, tried out Kern (did like it, but not as much), tried out EA :)(liked it, but not as much sonic character) and ended up with the EBS Fafner.:D

I sent a private e-mail to psycho who told me, that in his experience, Eden tends to get lost in the mix, whereas EBS cuts through. If that's true or not, I can't say, but I do trust psycho (probably to a fault). I'm sure that Eden lovers will say the opposite. But, rather than say that Eden doesn't cut through (because it very well may), I WILL say that EBS DOES:D:D:D