Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden or Gallien-Krueger?????<1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simongpaez, Jul 29, 2005.

1. :help:
    Here is the deal guys I need a combo for practice in home and for some small venues easy to transport from one place to the other , but punchy and good sounding I currently play at home througha Ampeg BR-100 taht really dont make any justice to my MTD 535. I'm planning on buying something "small" but with balls. Price is an issue I don't want to spend more than $1,000 bucks

What combo do you recommend?

Eden CXC110 1x10” Bass Combo vs Gallien-Krueger MB150E-112 150 Watt Micro-Bass Combo

or any other I'm missing!

Thanks guys
    Simoin

2. If you have 1k to spend I'm sure you could find some more powerful combos than this.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't count out the Mesa Walkabout, Aguilar AG combos, or the Euphonic Audio Combos...I've tried all of them and like them all in different ways. I've heard the Epifani combos are stellar as well. :)

4. The Hartke kickback combo is a very loud 120watts and rather cheap :D sounds great too!

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My GK1001-II head has a great punchy tone. Can't imagine a 700RB combo with two 10's would be a bad thing for little dough. Riks music.com has great prices on GK stuff.

6. Bass Central has a used EA iAmp 350 Combo for $799 listed on their site right now. That's 250 watts at 8 ohms under 50 lbs. and you can add a second 8 ohm cab later for all 350 watts. I would give that very serious consideration for what you want. You might check our some of the other reputable shops that get mentioned here often.

7. FYI... dumped an EA iAmp350 combo a while back... it's the heaviest 50 pounds I ever felt :eek: ... very hard to carry around, and was pretty much a toy.... for the cost and weight, it was not happening. Very poor design.... small, very heavy, and not loud. (Also, had significant technical/quality problems with it.... the EA guys were very good about fixing it... but I think they only kept this thing on the market for a year or so.) There's many other better combo's out there for you to buy.

8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Try an SWR Baby Baby Blue... it will do your MTD justice and it's not bad to carry around.

9. Tks guys

10. Any suggestions?

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I second this. I use a Baby Blue II combo for rehearsals, and its a super-high quality little combo, they pop up used occassionally for around $799.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    700RB-II and a Neo 112 cab. Yeah I know its a "stack" but if you really want a combo just add some glue...

Oh yeah, GK has Neo driver combos now too.

13. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    Nemesis

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I use a 350 combo all the time in small rooms. Although it is heavy, it's not at all difficult to lug and I disagree with pretty much everything stated above. It's a very GOOD design and quite loud. It has tremendous clarity and, in its class, one of the best combo amps I've run across. When sitting on top of a CXL110, it's a terrific small rig that can handle surprisingly large rooms but the combo by itself works very well in restaurants and other small venues. Haven't had a minute's trouble with mine, either.

15. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Can I reccomend one of those new SWR workingPro 700 watt amp heads?
    they are $800 brand new. I got one on ebay for $550.

I love it. I am currently using the factory recommended settings for rock and it is awesome. I need to noodle around and maybe make it more awesome but i dont think it can get any better.

Look into those. and they are a small rack mount.

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +2 for the EA combo if you are looking for clean and clear, giggable volume for medium volume gigs. The low B shold be very strong on that setup.

+1 for the GK 700 combo although personally I'd opt for a 700 rb II head and a Bag End cab of some sort.

No knowing the musical setting that you're working in (rock, jazz, funk, country ?) would be helpful. As you're looking for something to let your 535 shine, I would guess clean and clear with the ability to go down to the low B with some authority. Volume remains and open question though.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had another thought, companies like Dr Bass offer an "airhead"" version of thier cabs. The single 12 or the 1260 (12, 6"mid & tweeter) look especially interesting to me as it's possible to change heads down the road and keep the same speaker if your digging the sound.

http://www.drbasscabs.com/

I beleive that cabinet runs $480 with the airhead upgrade. With a lightweight head your close to 60lbs though, not sure if thats too much.

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    As long as you're considering Eden, check out an Eden Nemesis combo as well. They can usually be had for a reasonably good price ($500.00 range or more).