Eden or SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass2020, Feb 14, 2002.

1. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Which one should I buy?
    I what a mellow jazz tone.
    Eden Metro or Swr Super Redhead,
    with 2x10 extenstion cab.
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Neither is going to give you a mellow jazz tone. Both have that aggressive modern midrangie growly tone. Ampeg or fender will give you a more mellow tone
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Are you kiddin' me?! Eden is known for smooth and jazzy tones! Personally, I'd pick the SWR. I've had too many bad experiences with Eden. Ampeg for smooth tones?! LOL!
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have an eden. Not smooth and mellow. Lots of growl and bark. But hey it's just my opinion.
  5. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I do have an Ampeg, I can get a mellow tone.
    I need to upgrade, should I stay with Ampeg?
    What ampeg do you suggest?
  6. I guess it depends what bass you have and how you play it, but I'd go with Eden over SWR. To me it's more warm and full. SWR, although very nice, accentuated high treble clicks when I played through a 350 and their 410. I tried to eq it out but I couldn't. However, I know a jazz player who plays a Musicman and SWR and he gets a very smooth tone out of it. However, his dad is one of the best jazz guitarists in all of Canada so I'm sure he's been a big influence.

Either way, you can't go wrong, but I'd have my reservations about playing an Ampeg at a jazz gig. Great rock and in your face sound, but not deep enough for my tastes.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, if our esteemed moderators had not deleted my one-word post a while back, this post would have been unnecessary. At my own risk, I will repeat my post, which effectively rendered the whole "Amps [BG]" forum pointless.

One word: EDEN
  8. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I use Warwicks, I play with a light hand.
    If this helps, what should I use?
  9. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have to say swr and eden sound alike, I use a swr setup and get a sound i like, but you need to hear them with your bass,
  10. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Hey reedith. You are the first person from edmonton i have seen on TB..

hey man! (sorry off subject)

11. I have the Super redhead, and i would say that it is a great amp. Very flexible sounding, nice eq, plenty of power. I would say that you can't go wrong with either. I tried both when i bought mine, and the SWR simply suited my tastes better. The Eden is great. The main difference is probably the power, 600W @ 2 ohms in the Metro, vs 450W @ 2 ohms in the Super Redhead.

So...try them both out and decide which one is better for you. And if you get a second 210, let me know how it is, that is my next upgrade. Make sure it is 4 ohms.'

12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i play jazz, with a warwick, and my SWR setup has never once seemed out of place.

i've even used my IOD/DCM/GoliathJr3 setup with upright, and it sounded great. with my triad, i can use this rig for funk, rock, jazz, hip hop..without deviating from my current settings (that being everything totally flat) and the tone always fits.

i've never been able to say the same for eden, but of course YMMV.

13. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I would say Eden as well. I play in a jazz quartet with a Metro. I can get a variety tones out that thing, including a nice, smooth upright tone on my electric bass using the palm mute technique.

As far as dependability goes, I have had one problem with my amp. However, I called Eden, took the amp into my Eden dealer and had it back within a week. The cost to me was the shipping on the necessary replacement part. Eden has excellent customer service!

Go Eden! Go Eden! Go Eden!...
  14. Lots of variation in responses here. What bad experiences have you had with Eden, Woodchuck?
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My current set up is a Super Redhead and a Goliath III, and I love it.
    As for bad experiences, every Eden I've tried had severe clipping problems. The first one I tried was on our first tour in Nashville. The head clipped out during the third song, and never came back on. I ran through the house mix fir the rest of the show. I just chalked it up to a bad head. I eventually bought the 400 watt head, and it too had the same problem. The guys @ Eden were baffled by the problem also. After several attempts to fix it, I just moved on. On our 3rd tour, this place in Tampa rented an Eden rig and ditto. Major clipping, but this one would go out for about 30 - 40 seconds at a time. 2 years ago during soundcheck at a club in California, they had an Eden rig, and it too was bad. I've played through 5 Eden rigs, and only one has performed well. After that, I just chose to stay away from them. Now I have a request for SWR in our rider. Ampeg and Ashdown are also acceptable.
    I also have to say that Eden's CS was great. They went above and beyond.
  16. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just hooked up my 68 bassman head to my ampeg. I got to best tone, MELLOW!
    What other amp or preamp sounds like a bassman?
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Either one can deliver a mellow jazz tone with minimal adjustment. Get whichever you like better and has the best price. Eden and SWR are proven performers in the bass amplification field.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

19. You know Munjibunga I find myself reading Eden posts just to see your response. Hope that doesn't put any pressure on ya?

Maybe you should consider changing your sig?
    "If it aint tight it aint an Eden"

But as a vague answer to this question I don't miss my SWR bass 350 a bit.
  20. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Great Munji,I'll always be with you!