Eden Out Of Business

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jugband, Dec 11, 2002.

1. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Now this was an interesting post I came across yesterday in another message forum!

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 03:10 pm by Chris Rhoades:

Well, I blew one of my speakers in my Eden 4x10. The problem is I sent the old one in to get it fixed, and yesterday we called to see if they are gonna send me a new one or not and come to find out they went out of business last week. That sucks, I love Eden stuff.

2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ...and i bet the doghouse guys could care less
  3. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    Actually, and somewhat surprising to me also, that post came from www.rockabillybass.com, AND there was a reply to it which said "mine's not even a year old-Eden 4x10 XLT (hope it lasts)"

The assumption would be that they're both playing Rockabilly through Eden equipment, though that assumption might not necessarily be accurate... I'm not a Rockabilly player and *I* was on that message-board. I like Rockabilly, and MIGHT even play some someday, but mostly I'd rather listen to it (if the slap-bass is good and prominent) than play it.

Another assumption that a lot of people make is that Rockabilly guys don't care about the sound of their rig so long as it's loud (and I truly believe that IS the case fairly often).

However the only two Rockabilly bass-players I know locally are wearing $400 worth of gut strings on their basses. One of them paid nearly $500, due to having 4 strings from 3 different makers.

You don't (at least *I* sure don't) put that much $$$ into strings if you don't care how your strings sound.

Still, it raised my eyebrows too, since a Mesa Boogie, or a big Peavy with juke-box speakers would be more what I'd normally expect.

Just goes to show what "expectations" can be worth... :eek:
  4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    From Steve "Dude" Barr in The Dude Pit at http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm11.showMessageRange?topicID=845.topic&start=41&stop=47:

No need to crap on Eden; while it wasn't my first choice for URB, it did a reasonably decent job provided you didn't turn up the character (or whatever it is called, I forget) knob. The Navigator Preamp is better than the heads, less coloration. They make some nice e-bass stuff.
  5. I play jazz AND country/rockabilly, and I frequent both this and the rockabilly board. (and I play velvet Garbos, which cost me $644NZ) I am in the process of changing my Trace head for a WT400 Eden, so I was a little concerned about the rumours (the Eden is coming to New Zealand air freight). It seems as if all will be well (unless Gibson are the new owners), especially if David N. is still going to be the main man.
  6. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The undisclosed buyer for Eden that Bob Gollihur refers to is US Music Corp, parent company to Washburn and whose line includes: Randall, Soundtech, Oscar Schmidt...

Eden's press announcement:

I just sent my WT-600 head to Eden in Montrose, MN for repair. Drag because I just tried it with my Engelhardt ES-1 through a Mesa Boogie 2-10 wedge loaded with EV's and the preamp section of the Eden let me dial-in a very listenable sound.
  7. Well, I've had my WT400 for two months now. Although I use a GK MB150 for jazz gigs, I use the EDEN for country, blues, rockabilly and Irish gigs, and it's freaking PERFECT! All eq set dead flat, best sound I've ever had.
  8. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Marty and anyone else,

I'm a newbie URBist. I should stop here and thank EVERY poster as I've learned sooooo much from you all. Your collective experience and generosity just blows me away and I'm truly grateful.

My Eden has smoothed out a bad A and E string on my Engelhardt ES-1. So, I rave about the Eden's EQ 'depth" which everyone else seems to leave alone.

From the getgo, my G and D strings just sing, but, A and E are dead both in sound and feel. The bass was setup profesionally before I bought it. The strings are a matched set.

Anyhow, until I can spend the dough and time to fix the A and E blahs, least my amp can cover up the problem.