Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Anyone here use one, especially WT1000 or WT1250? Looks like they have a tube pre, and torroidal power section, the biggest difference b/t the two being the 1250's ability to run at 2 ohms.
    These amps should "feel like more like a crest CA9 or other lead sled" than a "qsc/plx switching type amp," right?

curious as to why more people aren't vocal about using these?
    curious as to if they are as nice as my experiences with eden navigator, wt800b, and metro, all of which I like a lot?

I'd be using one to replace a qsc/plx used to power my navigiator.....

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    check out the eden electronics forum (mainly eden owner/lovers, not that there's anything wrong with that... :p ) at www.eden-electronics.com

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks...not really much to report from there either...

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    To which I'm subscribed;)
    Got any other comments?

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yes. I have over 10,000 posts.

7. Id' say my only reason for not using Eden Power Amps is that they aren't rated for enough power.

Now, I know that Eden unlike many others is very conservative with their ratings, but 1000W bridged, while being enough for most anything, isn't enough to fuel my GAS dream of 2 410XST's, which are 1000W each. Although if I had the funds I certainly buy two..... damn GAS!

For the same price you can buy a power amp that'll do 2000, easy.

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

probably more than half are pointless ones. like the above. :rolleyes:

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Ouch.

10. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    Hello, I'm looking at a 1250 to power a few more cabs. I am currently using a WT330 and need the extra juice, any thoughts on how the 330 will work as a preamp?

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Should be fine I would think...

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up a used WT-1000, and while I have not gig tested it yet, I'd say that it is definitely closer to a CA9 than a PLX series amp. I really like it a lot, and the Tone Balance control is really nice. Once I find the screws for the rack ears on my Navigator, I am going to throw those two in a rack and have myself a nice little package of Eden goodness! :D :bassist:

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've had the wt-1000 and CA9 side by side for a while now ... and they really do sound different. The CA9 is like an endless reservoir of depth and clarity, while the WT-1000 makes for bass tones where I really feel like I can "hear" the note, while still having a very strong bottom end response. I assume this is a set of tailored bumps in the midrange.

Also, some speakers seem to like one amp much more than the other. The Aguilar GS410 LOVES the CA9 (that is one together tone), and the Eden XLTs definately prefer the WT-1000 (with the CA9 the XLT's low mid hump seems to shift a little, and doesn't quite have that "eden effect" any more).

Either one sounds a lot better to me than the PLX did.

The WT-1000 will do 2 ohms per side / 4 ohms bridged, which is the original reason I chose it over the WT-800 (a).

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That sounds right.

As does that.

Tom.