Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EDEN quality - before and after US Music corp. acquisition ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Turlu, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I hear too often that, since EDEN was purchased by US Music Corp, the quality went down with lack of craftmanship, etc. etc.

I had a chance to speak directly to the EDEN Technicians and they seem very competent.

Munjibunja, the guru of EDEN Amps, what do you think ???

All others invited to comment as well !!!:)

2. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I just purchased a brand new 115XLT that was built after the purchase. The quality of construction and sound is comparable to my other Eden cabinets. I also like that they replaced the banana plugs on the cab with speakons. They now have 2 speakon and 2 1/4 in. plugs.

Just my humble opine....

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a WT-550, and it's very nicely assembled. Great tone, too. No complaints at all.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm a dealer and have seen no difference in quality. It's still great stuff.

5. I emailed Eden to see about upgrading my WT-300 to a 400, and I got a response from David Nordschow himself (David Eden is not his real name - I think it's some biblical metaphor). The deal is that the products are still built in Montrose MN, where they always were, and the same people are building them and designing them, so the quality shouldn't be changing a bit. If anything, I would think it would be better with the backing of a major corporation to help funding R&D, marketing, and production equiptment. I was at their operation once a couple of years ago and found it to be basically an old pole barn full of old stuff - and really nice people. I would think this would give them a chance to spend a little money on equipment upgrades.

Of course, I haven't actually used any of their new stuff, but I'm entitled to my opinion, right?

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Perhaps. But if you are under the ownership of a corporation, you are subject to the profit margain demands of said company. Any publicly traded company has to play this game to keep stock values up. Otherwise they get swallowed by an even larger corporate body.

There are only two ways to move margains: Raise prices or cut costs.

As long as the rest of US Music is doing fine, Eden will do fine, but if Washburn starts tanking, Eden will feel it as well.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmm...i see it as a good thing...if anything else, where david nordschow used to be stuck on the phone and doing admin stuff, now he's out in the shop and getting his hands dirty again, so now you're more likely to get a product that the man himself turned a bolt on or whatever...yeah, the corporate involvement is there, but i think overall, it's good...

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the best indicator of their post-buyout quality is the fact that I havent noticed a single thread in TB about someones "US Music Corp" Eden dying or sounding worse than the one he had a year ago.

Just my $0.02.

Peace
    Nick

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

It even took CBS more than a year to F' up Fender.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Crack me up, chas!!!! There may be a lot of truth in what you observe!........(Not to be too nit-picky, but, CBS started screwing up true Fenders prior to the legal transfer in `65 which is why `64 Fenders don't get a lot of collector-price respect/value, in some cases!).

But, I think I know where you're coming from - I once owned a Sunn Coliseum in the 70's...........I wouldn't get care to get near one of today's "Fender-Sunns." It may be a situation, like Fender, where once the original components are depleted and the long-time employees are chased out, the quality will suffer.

I was really disheartened to see where some SWR's are now made in Mexico.

11. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    My WT-400 (made in 1996) has hundreds of cold solder joints, and I had to replace the power capacitors because they started leaking.

12. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have a WT-550. I have practiced, jammed, and gigged with it without any problems. Fine tone; the construction and workmanship appear to be well done. I am totally pleased with it. Tip:to clear the handle of the Berg HT-112 it is sitting on I stuck on new, larger feet. They are actually the things you stick on a wall to prevent doorknobs from dinging the drywall. They are a bit big but they work well. :cool: