Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain Black, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Eden 4x10 on top of 1x15

26 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg 8x10 cab

20 vote(s)
  1. the time has come to purchase a new amp rig, and ill need help on what to buy. my budget is about $1500 for a good cab and head. i found an ampeg head on ebay for about 250$ which will do me fine. but for the speaker rig...which one? an eden 4x10 on top of an eden 1x15 or one of those ampeg 8x10 cabs. the eden one will be more expensive, but i think it may be worth it. help me out.
  2. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    GO AMPEG!!!, heavy but monster TONE!!!
  3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Get an Eden 410XLT and a 210XLT both 4ohms, step back and enjoy. You can get those both used for less or about what you have to spend and it will sound WAAYYY, WAAYYY better than any Ampeg setup.

Peace out!
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If you are motivated enough I would say Ampeg but if you think you are going to have to carry those cabs by yourself a lot of the time then go with the smaller cab stack. The 810 wouldnt be necessary for any gig Ill ever be playing but I would still like one! :D I opted for the Ampeg 410HLF to go with my SVT-CL. I doubt Ill ever need to be louder!
  5. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Bass cab? The Acme Low B2 is the ticket. Goes deeper, sounds better. http://www.acmebass.com/ Keep your bass rig as small as possible. The trouble with a big bass rig is that it makes a lot of racket. Control the volume levels of what it's "competing against" instead. When you get to the point where you are playing through fully capable PAs, that excess stage volume will hurt your sound, and I guarantee that after being used to cranking on stage for months or years, no one will want to dial back to what's appropriate. (Please note that the Acme is quite capable level wise, if you have the power to push it. (A bridged Crown K1 is likely the optimal choice for both power and sound quality - around $650 used.) (The best bass sound I ever heard was no rig at all - he ran direct and used in-ears. Before the in-ears he used a single 12" next to his vocal wedge. MUCH better than anyone using a bass rig any larger than one of those tiny 12" jobs.)
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eden. Anything else is just wrong.
  7. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Eden, Hartke, Ampeg, SWR, etc,. are all variations on the same theme. There are qualitative differences to be sure, but none have the extended bass, minimal mid-bass resonance, midrange fullness & smoothness, or extended and clean highs of the Acme box. Once you have heard one, there's no considering the "big name" boxes. Changing to an Acme box is not a subtle improvement.
  8. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i'm not too happy with my ampeg cab...
  9. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Way back when, we ordered a bunch of SVT drivers to make clones. But to save time and money, we left out the panels that divide the cabinet into four sections, so instead of a 4x(2x10), ours were 8x10. Our clones sounded much better! They lacked the low mid "bark" of the "four little boxes" that comprised the factory box. Here's the poop:

The width of the box causes a resonance at about 275Hz.

The depth causes a resonance at about 540Hz (this is almost exactly an octave above the width resonance - the box depth used was not a particularly good choice).

The height of each 2x10 section has a resonance at about 615Hz. This is just above the depth resonance, and there are FOUR little boxes.

So, the 4x(2x10) has a BIG bark from 540Hz to 615Hz, and small one an octave and change below it.

If you leave out the dividers (or saw them out with the smallest scroll saw you can find), you remove the 4 resonances at 615Hz and replace them with a single resonance at 145Hz. You now have a much more pleasant sounding box that requires a lot less eq.
  10. thanks for the advice. i think im gonna go with the ampeg rig. its more budget friendly. ill post pics of my new rig when i get it. thanks to everyone who replyed!
  11. There is one other alternative and that is to go for an EBS cab

8x10 or
    4x10 x 2
    4x10 + 1x15

I love these cabs so much, a guy last night had an EBS 8x10 and a guy in the warm up band an ampeg 8x10.

The EBS blew it away.. Ive been ratterling on to the sound eng about EBS and he says nar Ampeg are better. never heard of EBS blah blah blah..

I think he's a convert...:D

Me hopefully gonna get a

EBS HD350 and a EBS 4x10 (to stick ontop of my Trace 1048h) for the time being untill i can afford to get thr 1x15..

Just a thought.. :).. bought the same price as the EDEN as well...
  12. TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN

I'd get:

1x Acme Low B2 (in 8 ohm) for $525 (incl shipping)

1x used Crown K1 power amp (1100w bridged into 8 ohms) $650 (incl shipping)

1x used rack of some sort $150 (incl shipping)

1x Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro or a used SansAmp, SWR, Trace, etc. $225 to $300 shipped.

We're a little over budget, but we have a very high fidelity and powerful rig. I've heard guys with those little G-K tiltback combos fill a large room, so this rig should do anything you need.
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I dont see much of a need for a 1x15 with an Eden 4-10xlt. I get plenty of low end from just the 4-10.

I would say Eden. I have had Amped and Eden and I love it. The new Ampeg stuff sounds to much like a Crate.
  14. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think this all depends on what head he's going to use. I like portability. I use Aguilar stuff (2- 1x12's) or (1 - 4x10) and if necessary, all of them. But the nice thing about it is that I have the choice of only using what's necessary when necessary. I think lugging around an 8x10 will get old REALLY FAST and you need a car capable of carrying that thing. I can carry my rig in my Honda Prelude. Makes sense to me.
  15. Geez, not again .....

16. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    To quote a well known talkbasser...

17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    An 8x10 all the way. Especially an Ampeg. Most 8x10's are beasts, but this is a monster!!
  18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Brand decision should be decided by your own personal tastes. However, having a modular rig with two smaller cabs will serve you MUCH better than just one huge cab. If you haul that 8x10 into a small venue people will freak, its just overkill in all but larger stages.

Imagine a small coffee-house type gig, whether with your regular band or a fill-in. You carry in your 8x10 and send everyone into a panic. Or, you gring a 4x10, and the next night at a larger venue bring your 4x10 and a 1x15. My opinion, go modular whatever brand you decide.
  19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man. I would get an extra 2x10 maybe if you bought the 8x10. Or even the 4x10 and 1x15. 4x10's and 8x10's could be a bitch to haul around. A 2x10 would be small and just like, really portable for those small gigs ;);)
  20. Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    I've got an awesome Ampeg SVT-210Pro cab with the old style logos. Casters. $335+ship. Excellent condition and superb for all but the large venues.

It is NOT a 210HE.