Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

eden rocks

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by tanuki, Dec 13, 2004.

1. tanuki

tanuki Bass Minotaur

Dec 13, 2004
    bristol, england
    Hey Mike,

just plugged back into whats going on with you through a bass player interview and the hoot page, can't wait to hear this radio show..

I've had an eden 410 for a couple of years now and i felt validated after you started using them, all of a sudden instead of being seen as a hi- fi ponce (we dont have too much eden here in england) i was getting props for using the watt rig! Any tips on how to get the best out of them or do you just plig em in and go?

Did you ever try the amps? If so what do y reckon, mine got stolen in a house smash but i found that with an 18" on the bottom my bandmates complained of something called "the choke" where the sub actually made their windpipes constrict (the drummer passed out from that combined with heat at a gig in scotland) i never had the cash to get another eden but im getting a pretty sweet sound using an old musicman sixty five amp, another thing we dont get too much of over here, you ever tried the old MM amps?

last thing would be about bass distortion, that constant quest to tear people's faces off without loosing the bottom end, whats your recomendation?

Man thats loads of questions i guess but its a rare chance to communicate, gotta say, both your playing and your philisophy of life and bass have been a great influence on me over the years keep at it man, heres no one like you..

2. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Watt used to use an Eden WP-100 preamp and WT-1000 power amp, as shown on http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_gallery-thudstaffs.html
    but last time I saw him he had an Aguilar preamp and not sure what power amp. If you read the Secondman's Middle Stand recording diaries, the Eden preamp bit the dust during recording after many hard years of touring.

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

tanuki,

well, the post before here tells some of my eden amp adventures - I've had three of them now, my first was the vt-.40 when it first came out. kira uses that now for when we prac at her pad. I used a wt-800 for many years, lots of them w/fIREHOSE and after 'til it got all burned up from lots of use - same thing happened w/my wp-100/wt-1000 combo but eden's getting those fixed up for me and in fact, are replacing the wt-1000 w/the new wt-1550 when it comes out this spring. I dig eden amps much and fortunately, I've had my eden speaker boxes (my first one was a 2x10 one that had a white eden label and fold-out handles) the whole time, even when the amps have been hurting. I've had nothe but the ten inch kind, the attack w/bigger speakers just isn't fast enough for me.

distortion w/bass is hard to do w/out losing lows but one solution is to use two channels - one w/distortion and one w/out. you can do this w/a stereo amp or two separate dealios. of course, each amp or side of the stereo amp needs it's own speaker box. there are distortion units w/a "blend" knob that mixes the amount of "direct" or undistorted bass w/the ground-up one, that's a more econo way to try something.

thank you much too for your very kind and generous words. sorry to hear your stuff got stolen, damn.

on bass, watt