Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden: Should i preamp/poweramp it, or go with a full unit?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Well i'm looking at two options for heads. One is to get a WT-800 and the other is to get a WP-100 and a QSC poweramp. I know that the WP-100 does have compression if desired on it. Which of these options do you think i should do?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've always been partial to a full unit (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk). Seriously, it's just that much less crap to lug around, and you probably aren't going to need any more power than a WT-800 will give you. You certainly aren't going to get any better sound.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    go with the pre

it'll be cheaper probably
    if you ever need more power you can stick with exactly the same sound
    if you ever want a different sound you have all the same power

you're gonna want to have a rack for your head anyways - so it won't actually be MORE stuff, just heavier probably. but if you're concerned about weight - get a peavey DPX or stewart world 1.2.

jason

4. What are your reasons to go one way or the other?

do you really feel you need that extra 200w (ime, you dont need that extra 200w ;) ) ?

do you really want that compressor (or is it just a nice little add on for good flavor)?

do you not mind the extra weight?(i'm almost postive it will weight more, the WT-800 weighs next to nothing considering its an 800 watter)

do you think you may give up on that lovely ;) eden tone? :eek: :confused:

are you willing to pay the price difference (i actually dont know what the price difference is)?