Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden speaker rattle?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdr, Sep 29, 2002.

1. I just got a new Eden CXM-110 and plugged it in and at low frequecies there is a rattle that comes from the speaker. Not there at higher frequencies. I tried different basses and amps with the same rattle there when playing the B and E strings. I e-mailed Bass Central where I bought it and they told me to contact Eden. They won't return my calls or e-mails. The Eden phone person said "Earl is too busy to talk on the phone"

With no one willing to help I took matters in to my own hands and at first thought I had found it. The grille had gotten pushed in/kicked at the lower right corner so that it was touching the speaker housing. I took it off, bent it back, thought I was so smart and, of course, it still rattles. When the bass is rolled off or the volume very low, it's gone. Any medium volume and low frequency dialed in and the rattle is there. It is less perceptible at higher volumes as I think the speaker volume drowns out the rattle, i.e. the rattle sound does not increase with increased volume.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    gotta love that "you deal with it attitude":rolleyes:

3. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Earl sounds like an idiot.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm responsible for the Bass Central side of this one. I'm pretty surprised by Eden's response here, it's VERY atypical. I have sent this link to them, hopefully they will get back to you with a solution, bassdr.

boobinga - Earl isn't an idiot, I can attest to that. He's actually very smart, and also very helpful. I'm sure there was some miscommunication here. Not to mention, Earl didn't say he couldn't help, someone else did!

I wish I knew why you had the rattle, bassdr, but I'll try to get you an answer!

5. Gard,

Appreciate your efforts. I tried to call again today, this time I got someone's voice mail. Kind of frustrating. Hopefully I'll hear from someone eventually.

6. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    My guess would be that the voice coil is rubbing. I had gotten an Avatar 2x10 cab new and one of the cones had similar symptoms. A sound engineer friend of mine diagnosed it as a voice coil issue (poor quality control at Eminence). Dave at Avatar sent me a new driver no questions asked.

7. I did get an e-mail from Dave at Eden today. He told me to get in touch with the dealer.

If Eden would handle this like Avatar did I would be thrilled. Actually I would be thrilled with any feedback other than passing the buck back to the dealer!

8. make sure that all of the screws that hold the speaker to the cab are tightened. loose screws can cause the speaker to vibrate against the cab and generate a sort of "speaker fart", expecially on the low-end.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did you buy it new or used? If you bought it used then getting in touch with the dealer seems like perfectly acceptable advice. Although, it would be nice of them to handle it anyway. If I bought it new though then I would definitely expect the manufacturer to take some kind of action I think.

When I bought my new SM-500 from BC I had an issue or two and SWR fixed me right up (I also gotta say that Grasshopper went the distance in making sure that SWR fixed me up and answered my questions too).

I would expect that BC will take care of you. You're in good hands.

brad cook

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I once bought a new Aguilar cab via mail order, and one of the four speakers had a little buzz in it. I contacted Aguilar, they had me ship just that one speaker driver back to them, then shipped me a new one no charge.

Turned out it was a misaligned voice-coil in the speaker, which happens from time to time.

11. For those of you following this thread, here's what finally worked out.

Gard is the man down at Bass Central. He called Eden and got them to send me a new driver to exchange for mine. The lack of response from the tech support people up at Eden occured as half of their work force is out with the flu.

Further inspection of the speaker shows some damage to the front of the speaker edge from the grille being knocked in, probably during shipping. This blow probably caused damage to the voice coil. I guess it happens.

Thanks Gard!

12. similar note...

back in 1990, i purchased a brand new 8" car audio subwoofer. it was one of the best available at the time, and upon it's first use, it had a rattle. I wrote a letter to the mfr (was Soundstream, I hear they're no longer in business). they promptly sent a return authorization, i shipped back the bad spkr, and they sent a new sub. i've been enjoying that sub in my vehicle for 12 yrs now.

(for you car audio buffs, it's a reference 8 - the reference line by soundstream *was* known as the 'velvet hammer')

b