Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden, SWR, or Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AuG, Dec 29, 2005.

1. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    So I'm stuck.

Been looking at a couple of 4x10 cabs and became stuck on a few choices. Need some help deciding...I've read some reviews online but I'm looking for actual coherent responses here. ;) How do these cabs compare in actual sound reproduction? Any head recommendations for each cab? This would be my first amp/cab purchase so I dont want to get something that would crap out on me like a certain combo practice amp I bought 2 years ago. Trying to keep overall price of the cab and head at no more than 500 each.

1.) Eden NSP410 8ohms. Found one for under $500. I know everyone says hold out for an XLT but they're just outta my price range.

2.) Aguilar S410 in 4 ohms. Again found one for under 500.

3.) SWR WorkingPro 4x10. Everybody I've talked to has had nothing but good things to say about Aguilar and SWR. Are there any bad qualities to these cabs? Aguilar products are handmade are they not?

As for heads I've sorta settled on a GK400RBIV. I don't need that much power because I'll be playing some small clubs/bars and I don't want to pay extra for more power when I won't need it. I played a GK400 at a GC through one of the GK 4x10's and was impressed. Anywho, if anyone has any input as to good head/cab combinations please post your thoughts. :)

AuG

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I would have to go with the Aguilar and here is why. First, Washburn owns Eden. The service and repair problems are legendary. The quality control from Washburn is sketchy at best. As a company, it is pretty bad. The SWR working man are usually the lesser quality equipment for SWR. I have been an avid SWR Fan since 1987, but the pro equipment not the WM stuff. I made the mistake of buying a WM 15 Combo and I blew it up after 2 gigs.
    Plus since SWR had been bought by Fender, the quality vs. quantity issue has been a problem, at least from my perspective.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I recommend that you always buy Aguilar. Eden cabs are OK, I guess. Forget Eden heads though, they look stupid.

4. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I own both a nemesis combo and a 410XLT. The Nemesis are nice, but I would not put them w/ the others. They are Edens Imports,but they are the best import I've run into.
    SWR is good,but I have not been a fan since the Fender buyout. Some people don't care, but I don't think Tobias is the same after the Gibson buyout either.
    I like Eden, but if you can't get an XLT, I'd go w/ the Aggie.

5. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    So I'm getting a Aggie vibe here. Sounds good to me. :)

Would the GK head I mentioned in my first post be sufficient to drive this cab? It's 280 watts in 4 ohms IIRC. I think the RMS of the cab is 400 watts.....is this okay? Shouldn't I try to match amp capabilities to cab RMS capabilities? Sorry for the noob questions, I've played combo amps since I started and lately I've found that I'm quite behind on amp and cab knowledge in general.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

AuG

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The lower wattage head won't hurt the cabinet as long as you watch for T.O.F. (threshold of farting). Sustained fartage could damage your speakers.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

I like the others would reccomend the Aggie in that group, although I think if you hunted you could find a used XLT for that price. Nothing at all is wrong with used stuff if you check it out.

I have to disagree with your comments about Eden service. I have dealt with the Eden service department several times since the buyout and have found them to be very professional and knowledgeable. I have also talked to David Nordschow and he is still with Eden and very much involved in their current product design and management. These kinds of rumors are spread buy music store people (not you) who don't carry the product and want to talk it down. I ran into a salesman at a music store last week who tried to tell me about all the problems at Eden and how they were building their amps "in China". Well unless the Reds annexed Montrose WS. that is, shall we say BS. The label on my NEW Eden WT550 says "Proudly handcrafted in Montrose WS. Eden is still very much a quality producer of bass amplifiers.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think the Aguilar/GK combination will be excellent, and the GK will have enough power. The new generation of GK heads is big step up from the previous versions. I have the 700RB-II, and it is simply huge, way beyond my 700RB. Running the 400RB-IV at 4 ohms will give you plenty for your purposes.

9. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Saying Eden is owned by Washburn is like saying Ampeg is owned by Mackie. Eden is owned by US electornics, and Ampeg is owned by Loud Industries. They both still operate as seperate entities and still have thier key people, unlike SWR, and Tobias who's founders were sent packing.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    This is where you are wrong. First, we are talking about the speaker cabs and not the amps. The speaker cabs are now made down the same production line as Randall. They are made 20 feet away from the USA Washburns. They are made 20 feet in the other direction from Vincci strings. US Music Corp is Washburn. The same person owns them and the same people answer the phone for service. The truth is, Washburn's service, as a whole entity, sucks.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I don't want to hate on anyone. Really. I know for a fact what I am saying, but you really need to play your amp through the cabinets. Get a feel for each and make an informed decision that fits your playing the best. Opinions are like Assholes, everyone has one. :smug:

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Your right, US music Corp, Not US electornics.(I should have looked before I wrote). I'll take your word for it on the cabs, and stand corrected on that point.

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The SWR and the Eden cabs are of lesser quality IMO than the Aggie GS410. If it was between the XLT, Goliath III and the GS410, then it would be more a matter of taste. Again, IMO, the AG at $500 is the best deal here.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I agree, Aguilar makes a very good product. I think the SWR WM series uses a stamped frame lower wattage speaker, while the pro series uses a cast PAS.

Eden is in Montrose Minnesota, yes? did they move to Wisconsin? I sent an Eden WT800 for service in Montrose Minnesota and the amp was fixed and done THE SAME DAY, but that was before the buyout, so check it out.
    (I think thier heads look KEWL !)

If you can get a GK700RbII for similiar money online compared to the 400rb @ GC, I'd emphatically recommend it. The extra power is never a wasted thing.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i tried the aguilar S410 & S210 a few days ago at my local bass haunt, and wow, was really impressed.

compared to the SWR workingman's, which i thought were great for the buck, the aguilar's were much smoother. the SWR's tweeter was pretty harsh and hissy, too, in comparison.

get the aguilar, and be happy, i say.

16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I like the Aguilar better than the other two brands, both of which I have owned in the past.

I think you are doing yourself a real dis-service by looking only at new gear. There are a lot of good deals here on TalkBass with very reputable sellers. If you buy new at the price points you mention you will end up with a POS rig. If you spend the same $$ on used you will have something that will last you quite a while.

I do buy new stuff but the used to new ratio is 3:1 for me!

New - Ken Lawrence Brase 5, Lakland 55-94

Used - MTD 535, Sadowsky 5, Zon Sonus, Ken Lawrence Brase 5, Acacia 6
    Tune Bass Maniac.....

:):):):):) :smug:

Dan K.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

[wallet rant on]

TB'ers here are real jerks for offering up such wallet draining gear. and i'm sick of it! sick!

[wallet rant off]

18. I have been using a SWR Workingman's 410 for about 6 months, mainly as a stand alone cab. Looks like the only changes SWR made were the name change, to Workingpro (smart move, now gender friendly) and cosmetics.

I a/b'd this cab with a Goliath III and actually preferred the Workingman's. The Workingman's has more low-mids, while the Goliath was mid scooped. The two cabs together was next to amazing.

That said, I have a love/hate relationship with this cab. Some nights it reached it's excursion limit. Other nights, it sounded fantastic. I was going to start a journal to track the problems, narrow it down to club acoustics, etc. Although, I believe the main issue was competing against a loud drummer and 2 guitarists with 100 watt Carvin Legacy's. The band just folded, so I won't be able to pinpoint the problem for awhile. However, it sounded great during solo or clean/softer songs.

I have no experience with Eden or that Aguilar cab. Although, I owned a GS212 and thought the build quality was top notch.

I'll stop rambling,lol. My choice, look for a used cab. You'll have more options and will most likely find a better cab at that price range.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, the feedback I've seen here has been that Eden's quality and service have not changed since they were acquired by U. S. Music (not Washburn, who also are owned by USM). I don't think you know what you're talking about.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, think of all those pros who have to suffer the embarrassment of having the ugly WT-800, most requested backline amp, out there where everyone can see it.