Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Time Traveler 10 limitation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Javy, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    I've been thinking about getting an Eden Time Traveler 10 for practice and portability reasons and adding an Aguilar GS-112 when needed to handle my B string (my whole bass for that matter) at higher volumes. I read that the Time Traveler 10 bottoms out and gets farty pretty easily when fed a B string at moderately high levels, and I'm wondering if it will still do so when a GS-112 is connected. Anybody have experience with this?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am also considering a Time Traveler 10 Combo with a 1x12 (either the Eden CXM-112 or an Aguilar GS112). Have you received any other responses, or have you actually purchased the combo?

Any feedback regarding the Time Traveler 10 combo would be appreciated.

Later, Tom.

3. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    Hi Tom. I ended up buying an Ampeg B2R head and two Aguilar GS-112 cabinets without getting to audition them or compare to other stuff. I just did it based on what I've read. The Aguilar GS-112 can supposedly outperform Eden's CXM112, from what I've read. The specs are also worth comparing: GS-112 handles 300 watts, 42Hz-16kHz freq. response, sensitivity 102 dB; the CXM112 handles 200 watts, 42 Hz-20kHz freq. response, 100 dB sensitivity; weights are very similar.

I figured the TimeTraveler10 with its single 10 would bottom out pretty easily if it was played very loud at all, especially with a 5-string bass. With my current setup, I can always take my B2R head and a single GS-112 when I don't need a lot of volume, which isn't much more trouble than carrying a combo like the TimeTraveler. For larger applications, I've always got a second GS-112 on hand.

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. I am still very much considering two GS112's with a compact head, either the Time Traveler head or one of the iAMP heads.

Being in a similar boat of not being able to audition (higher end) bass gear, could you provide me with your subjective opinion of the tone and volume that you are getting out of your GS112's?

Thanks, Tom.

5. Javy

Javy

Sep 15, 2000
    Tom, you asked for my subjective opinion so I'll give it to you, but be warned, it is *subjective*!

As others have said, two Aguilar GS-112's together sound like more than just doubling the sound of one. When using both GS-112's, I keep the low EQ on both my amp and bass at or near flat---their low end is substantial! With just one GS-112, I may boost the lows on either the amp or my bass just a little but only a small amount of boost is needed. I should add that the times I tried just one GS-112, it was the one on top of the other, so there wasn't nearly as much acoustic coupling taking place between the speaker and the floor; hence, less bassy. I also found that the two cabinets together sound better when I stack them both on top of something else (like other speakers) to get them off the floor. The bass is still plenty strong but without being excessively boomy and muddy.

The performance of these cabinets is pretty impressive. They're quite clear (maybe not as hi-fi as some purists might like but still hi-fi) and they have good response in the very low bass range. With both cabinets connected, my B2R head puts out 350 watts. At full power (or close to it---I could have increased the input gain at the expense of possible clipping), the 12" drivers barely move. I get the impression they could handle a lot more power without distorting as long as the lows aren't boosted excessively. Even with my 350 watt head I'm fairly certain I could make the drivers fart or bottom out if I boosted the lowest frequencies excessively and beat the B string. Compared to my Nemesis 2x10 combo, the GS-112's handle low B much better. Let me also add that one GS-112 is quite impressive on its own and could handle a variety of small gigs. This, however, depends on how you define "small" and what kind of musicians you're playing with.

The Ampeg B2R seems decent. I might like a number of other heads more, but I didn't want to spend $800-1000 on a head right now. I was drawn to this amp by Ampeg's reputation and the head's $495 price tag. (By the way, how many amp manufacturers are offering 5 year warranties these days?) The jury is still out but I may end up agreeing with those who say the B2R's 350 watts don't sound like 350 watts. Compared to my 200 watt Nemesis combo, the B2R sounds somewhat more powerful but nothing outstanding. Then again, I'd have to increase the Nemesis' power by a factor of ten just to double the volume, so I shouldn't expect too much more from 350 watts. However, the B2R through the GS-112's does sound a lot more authoritative than my Nemesis 2x10 combo The sound is thicker, fuller, more solid.

I could keep rambling but I don't know if I'm helping you or just clouding up an already murky issue. I know how hard it is to make decisions like this based on nothing more than word of mouth. It sure would be great to have access to lots of high-end gear to try before you buy!

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Javy:

Actually, that was just the kind of response I was looking for! Thanks a lot. You may have just nudged me from the combo w/a 1x12 camp into the head with two GS112's camp!

Thanks again, Tom.