Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Time Traveler 110 wt330

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    by my signature you can see I like tech21 RBI/Stewart/Aguilar sound.

I took a Time Traveler 110 combo on a trial run today. Here is my report: Pretty nice with the classic "world tour" sound of eden amps/cabs, but its a little weak on power handling. I used a 4 string 1978 Rickenbacker 4001. it farted out around 105 dBc all by itself. however, with another cab, Aguilar Gs-112, it sounded pretty loud/good with the band. about 105-110 dBc. but, I had to roll off the bass a little to avoid overloading the 10" woofer. I also ran the CXC-110 with my two Aguilar GS112's sounded pretty good, borderline max on the amp, but it sounded pretty nice. Lots of bottom, lots of punch!

Then I took the combo home to see how it sounded in my livingroom. Pretty nice! again about a 105 dBc which is loud enough for acoustic gigs and maybe basement jams with real drums. But, the CXC-110 definitely needs another cab to give it enough volume for medium to, maybe, bar-loud gigs.

Tweeter is a bit hissy, especially for home use or by anal-retentive users, like me, I just turned the tweeter knob down or am considering disconnecting the coaxial tweeter.

What am I saying??? time traveler series is nicer than the Eden/nemesis silver series as far as midrange and even hiss in the tweeter range. if you can get past the "farting" adjustment phase of the amp usage.

I just might buy this one.....

any comments???

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I have this amp and freakin' love it.
    I had a tweeter leverl control installed on mine, because like yourself, the co-ax tweeter is a bit hot for my tastes.

It's odd to me that you have exact db measurements for your volume. Did you carry a db meter with you to take these readings?? If not how did you come to those numbers??

Also 105db to 110db is a pretty good, if not crazy difference in volume for a bass rig. Can you actually gain 5db by just adding a single 12??

As for being a little weak on power handling, it is only a single 10, and I don't care who makes the 10" cab, a ten will only be so loud. I add an extra Eded CX110 cab with mine and it puts out like any other 210 combo out there.

The CXC110 combo's cab (the same box as the single CX110) is only rated to like 98db @ 1 meter/1 watt according to Eden. This in of it's self is limiting what the cab will actually put out relative to the amount of power put in. (ex. a more efficiant cab will make better use of the power put into it) and the combo is only 330 watts at 4Ohms. The combo's cab is rated at 8 Ohms, so your dealing like with 200 watts.

But all said, the little ass kicker as I call it slams for small to med gigs.

I think a lot of folks have unrealistic expectations for 110 combos. Most will kill on small gigs, and with an ext cab, be just fine for most med gigs as well. Just don't expect them to put out like a 410 or two!!

FWIW: Sadowsky 4 & 5, BSX Allegro 5, country, R&B, funk.

3. endorka

endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a CXC110 I acquired a few months ago, and I think it is the business. I've used it on every gig since I've bought it bar one or two, and that was because of logistics problems, i.e. I needed the CXC110 for a gig right after another.

I've yet to run out of headroom on it, I would say that most of the time I am running the master volume at just past 9 o'clock. This is with jazz combos and big bands, some of which play in pretty large clubs/pubs. With more raucous bands I've had it at around 10 o'clock, at which it still performed great. So, no need for additional cabs here, something my back appreciates.

I did notice some noisy artifacts when first trying it out, but these seemed to magically go away after a bit of use. Maybe it just needed broken in or something. Also, be careful of the "enhance" control; while I found that it gave an initially pleasing tone, it does effectively remove some of the mids, which I like, and therefore I think I was initially running the amp louder than it needed to be to compensate for this.

I think it is a great wee combo, and I've had loads of compliments on the sound it makes. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say!

Jennifer

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It farts out but you're buying it... :rolleyes:

I'd love to know what method you used to come up with your decibel ratings. I'm sure they are up to OVR standards of accuracy and that you used properly calibrated instruments... What size room and at what frequencies. What distances were these recorded? Reaching certain dB levels isn't hard. Reaching them with pleasing and usable bass tone is a whole other story.

You mentioned nothing of what settings you had on the bass or the amp when this "farting" occured. BTW, it's not the dB part of it that makes a cabinet fart out. Try it out with other instruments and you won't need these seemingly meaningless dB ratings. A 110 combo isn't exactly going to move a lot of air with a lot of bottom no matter who makes it although IMO, this one does a fantastic job.

5. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Speaking as a long time owner, I love mine. I added a 210 sitting vertically underneath it for louder gigs and find it more than satisfactory volumewise. On its own, IMHO it does not like low C# or below (what little I use a 5), but when the power is distributed to 3 10s, this is not an issue at all. For the most part, I think your initial assessment is fairly accurate to my experience.

On a further note, mine has been very reliable.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I was using a radio shack DB meter. I know its not a science instrument, but it helps me get an idea of different levels. I know it isn't a 410. I like to know the volume limits of my equipment when I'm trying it out so I'm not suprised if something can't go above store volume level. I AM NOT saying the eden is a bad piece, I'm just stating its usage parameters. I was trying to use in on stage AT A KID-CHURCH!!! and it was not loud enough by itself, but with the extension cab it was usable.

The reason I was so concerned about the "farting out" is that I share my equipment with others and most people DON'T worry about blowing something up, but I do, its my equipment.

7. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Can you expand on the church deal? how big was the room, where were you standing in relation to the combo, etc.?

When it comes to sharing, are you there in person, or do you let them borrow?

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

the room is about 35x70 I was standing about 4feet from the combo out near the mains. the other bass player, the one scheduled for that weekend was behind the drums and mains with the RBI/dBX/Stewart/aguilar setup.

When I "share" equipment I try to give each bass player a rundown on how to use the amp and I'm usually not there after the first time they use it. currently when running the RBI/dBX/Stewart/aguilar setup I set the DBX as a limiter for the signal to the stewart to be used as sort of a speaker protection, unless they bypass it!

So far so good.