Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden tube questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Oct 16, 2003.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi, two quick Qs regarding the preamp tube in my Eden WT-550 amp:

1. I think the stock tube is just a Chinese 12AX7. This is just for the preamp section of course, so would there be any honest difference/benefit in picking up a different or better quality tube? If so, any recs on a particular one to look for?

2. I've never dealt with tubes. Obviously being made of glass these are fragile, but can they be kept in a gig bag in case a tube blows while on the road? I just didn't know if a spare tube would have any internal damage from being dragged around or shaken in a bag.

Thanks

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, they're chinese...i've been thinking about trying a sovtek 12AX7 in my metro...i'm sure that if you kept your tube in some foam or the box it came in it would be fine in your gig bag.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I ordered a spare from Eden, they sent me a Ruby Tubes 7025 (Chinese). The original tube has the Eden logo on it, and also is a 7025 (probably Ruby Tubes). The 7025 is a higher-gain version of a 12AX7. You may hear some difference if you replace the tube with something else. You may like it, you may not.

By the way, Eden charged me $15 plus shipping for that Ruby Tube. They're $7.50 anywhere else. The tubes come in a little plastic container that should be safe for a gig-bag, as long as it's not up against something hard, like a stomp-box.

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Eden preamp design is less effected by the character of the tube than most other designs. You can still hear a difference between tube brands.

The 7025 has the same gain spec as a 12AX7/ECC83 but is selected for lower noise.

Chuck

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    when my eden tube died i tried a bunch of tubes in it courtesy of my tube fanatic guitar player
    the stock is definitely chinese - and that aint a bad tube at all
    the chinese sound brighter than the soviet ones which give a darker and fuller tone
    i eventually stuck with the china version casue it cut the best

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My sources indicate that the 7025 has higher gain and a brighter sound than a 12AX7.

From Torres Engineering web site:

7025 was an industrial number for 12AX7. The 7025's specified in the old amps from the 60's were a bit different from 12AX7 tubes in that they were supposed to be made for lower noise. That is why Fender, for example, specified a mixture of 7025's and 12AX7's. Today all 12AX7 tubes are low noise, but the extra brilliance and higher gain of the 7025 is always an advantage, and another tool to tune your amp with.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    One of the problems with looking for a tube that sounds better then the others is collecting the tubes to compare. In my experience, most of these 12AX7 tubes (and the variants) sound pretty much alike. Yes, there are differences, but most of the time they will be VERY subtle. I once tried 6 or 7 different tubes in my Eden head, and there were not many differences between any of them. Once you turn up the volume, they all begin to sound alike.