1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden Turn Off Thump

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Studenick, May 9, 2006.

1. Just scored an Eden WT-550 off the Bay and it has a nasty turn off thump.

Not a little bitty one, I am talking KA-BOOM!!! LOUD!!

Even with the volume and master down all the way it's a bit thump when I turn it off.

I called Eden Tech Support and they assured me it was normal, but I'm not so sure.

Anybody else with an Eden have this?

2. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Hi,

I experience the same with my WT-550 and although the volume of the thump struck me the first few shut-offs as well I would not say it's LOUD. In fact the volume varies from shut-off to shut-off but it never really reached an amount I'd be worried about.

So, seems like some amount of thump is normal.

3. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I have my 550 in a rack plugged into a Furman PL8 power conditioner. When I turn it off via the Furman I don't seem to have any thump at all. But even if I use the 550's switch it isn't as loud as you describe.

4. When I turn ON my NA650 I get a nasty thump/clipping of the input for half a second too, I hate it and want to know how to stop it, I've done searches on here to no avail.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It must be the Acoustic legacy... Acoustics (Russ Allee, Steve Rabe), SWR (Steve Rabe) and now Eden (Russ Allee) [don't know about AMP (both Russ and Steve) because I haven't played through one in a long while] all have the power THUMP when you turn them on.

One of them said that they didn't use a relay in the output circuit because it would degrade tone.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I get a small thump with my 550 and my aguilar gs112.

if you like pull the 1/4 speaker plug then flip the power off.

I'd rather have a thump than a POP! like I had with my SWR :rolleyes:

7. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I've got a decent POP going with my Trace, just when I put it in standby!

For some reason it only started doing it recently.

8. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I used to have this prioblem with an Eden Nemesis. I turned it down before I turned it off and the thump went away. Maybe this will work for you.

9. I've turned every knob on the amp and bass down before and it still does it.

10. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I had the exact same problem. A big spike. My WT550 had to go back to the importer for a retrofit kit. Didn't cost me anything because it seemed to be a production-error.

You'll have to contact a dealer. Take a look at the Eden forum. I remember seeing a couple of topics about this problem.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden forum: +1

12. My Acoustic 270 would do this. With my 2x15 it was so loud and low you could feel it. It bothered me alot, I always worried that it would blow a speaker...
    C7

13. Peik

Peik

Dec 2, 2004
    Sweden
    I had the same with my WT550. I sent it to the dealer and the tech there fixed for me. He said it was a power related problem, that was very easy to fix. So your dealer should be able to fix it. I started unpluging every time i turned of the amp, which is a little enoying. So just contact your dealer.

14. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    no pops, hits, or errors.

Lkaye

15. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I have not noticed thumps or pops when shutting off my WT550 or WT400.