Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Tweeter buzzing: normal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Jun 8, 2004.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    So i've been putting my new Eden XST through its paces since the weekend, and I noticed something new today.

I always keep my Tone knob on my Thunderbass all the way down, but i turned it up, and with the tweeter control at 12 o'clock i kept on hearing buzzing, almost like the sound coming from the tweeter was static-y, i turn the Tone knob down again, and its gone and it sounds good.

Are highs the first to go with weak batts or something? is my tweeter gone? with my tone knob down and my slapping away, the highs sound fine.

I'll swap the batt tomorrow when i get another one, but if anyone has anymore ideas i'm open to suggestions

and no. the speakers never lit up either

EDIT: and for the record, the treble EQ on the IOD did affect the amount of buzzing in terms of loudness.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    it's sounds like a frequency thing to me. I finally got my light to go on last night. You really gotta push the highs to get it to go.

3. I think that is normal believe it or not. Every cab with a horn that I have ever tried and the one I own (SWR) has this. The horn hisses. The more treble you give it, the more it hisses. As far as I'm aware, there really isn't anything you can do about it, except turn the horn down. It's not noticable when you play, only when you aren't. And even then, it's only noticeable when everything is quiet and you are listening for it.

Maybe I'm wrong...but that's been my experience...

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Is it a buzz or a hiss? I've been using Eden 2-10 XLTs for a few years, and I have some hiss when the rig is idling and I'm not playing.

A hiss that sounds like white noise is typical of a horn in these cabs. If its a buzz you may have a problem, IMHO. Try contacting Eden techs directly via email at their site. They typically respond in a day or two.

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mine only hisses when I crank the 2k+4k... but other than that, I love the Eden tweeter. Best tweeter I've heard.

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've "blown" a tweeter in my Aguilar cab, and it made a distorted sound. It sounded to me like a 10" driver was slightly blown, but turning down the tweeter attenuator removed the sound.

I don't know if its the same with the Edens, but with my Aguilar I was able to order just a replacement diaphragm for about 1/3rd of what it cost to replace the entire tweeter. Their designs look similar, though the color obviously is not.

Call Eden, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    My Eden WT-600 always has a slight his, even with master at 0. My other Eden WT-800 did the same thing.

8. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    If they put in a 8k rolloff filter in it would be better. While I relate with the craving for smooth sparkling highs, I really don't see how our basses provide hi-freq content. So, I am from the camp of... Bassists Against Tweeters (BAT). IMHO

the Groove's the thang.

I firmly believe that tweeter were put into bass guitar enclosures to help sell them in stores, not to help in it's real-life performance.

all IMHO, of course

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    the sound i was hearing wasn't noise like a hiss, it was buzzing, ....but sorry about not getting back earlier, but turns out it was a weak battery in my bass!

I had a full rehearsal tonight with us going full blast and my xst is slowly growing on me as having a nice full voice, yet with just enough throaty growl to it with my setup.

10. It's the best feeling when you realise the solution is something simple like replacing a 9v battery. Such relief.