1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden tweeter polarity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BBEgo, Apr 29, 2010.

1. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    When an unfortunate accident caused my Eden D212XLT's tweeter bulb (fuse) to blow, I had to open it up. When I did, I noticed that the tweeter appeared to be wired with reverse polarity (black wire on red post).
    Are they supposed to be this way?
    This cab has been re-coned in the past, so I know that some non-Eden hands have been in there.

It probably wouldn't be that big of a deal if I were running just the single cab. But now that I have a D210XST sitting on top, polarity may become more of a factor. I don't want the 2 cabs' tweeters to cancel one another out due to opposite polarity.

My knee-jerk reaction was to *fix* it, and put the positive wire on the red post. Problem is, I don't know if I goofed it up by doing so.

Any thoughts?

2. Makes no difference. You don't run into the sort of phasing issues with tweeters that you do with woofers.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

It makes a difference, depending on the phase difference of the crossover used. If you see two caps and two coils on the crossover, it's second order, or 180 degrees out of phase. That is compensated by wiring the tweeter backwards.

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The crossover designer wants the woofer and tweeter to be moving in-phase in the crossover region. Counter-intuitive as it may seem at first glance, sometimes that calls for reversing the polarity of the tweeter. Among the things a crossover designer takes into account are the phase shift induced by the natural rolloffs of both woofer and tweeter; the phase rotation induced by the crossover; and the physical offset of the drivers (if the woofer's acoustic center is 2" behind the tweeter's, that corresponds to 180 degrees of phase shift at 3.4 kHz).

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I have the Eden 212XLT and know for certain that with Eden's standard high-pass filter in that cab, the tweeter is deliberately wired with reverse polarity compared to the woofers. You should put it back the way you found it. When you use two cabs, turn the tweeter on the cab that's closest to the floor almost all the way off (but not completely off or you can burn the L-pad) and turn up the one that's furthest from the floor to compensate.

6. slightly off topic but I noticed you said you run your 210XST on top of the 212XLT - have you tried running the 210XST on the bottom (the infamous "Vinny Rig" ) the sound is uber awesome!

ResizeofMarksEdenRig.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hey Duke,
    Thanks for the clear explanation and would only go for doing it the right way, but am curious; is it really that noticeable if the tweeter is out of phase for bass amplication?

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The Eden crossover is a 18db third order high pass . With the 18db it doesn't make that much difference if the tweeter is wired out of phase with the woofer sound wise . A second order 12 db is another story , the mid or tweeter must be wired out of phase with the woofer to sound right or in phase .

With that Eden crossover and horn I'd leave it like it is , either way you hook it up you probably won't hear a difference . That Eden horn is one of my favorites , I think they sound very nice .

9. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Thanks for the input, everyone. You've been very helpful.
    As for placing the 210xst on the bottom, why does it make a difference?

10. Check out the Eden Forum -
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/default.asp

cut and paste these into your browser -

http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9354&SearchTerms="vinny,rig"

http://www.eden-electronics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6812&SearchTerms="vinny,rig"

Heaps of info on this set up on there.

11. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    My guess is that it would perhaps be noticeable to some but not obvious; the result of a miswiring would be a dip in the crossover region, and dips are much more difficult to hear than peaks.