1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden tweeter sound: horn or crossover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 12bass, Mar 21, 2006.

1. All things being equal, wouldn't a 12" or 15" driver have less radial dispersion of high frequencies than a 10" one?

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Okay...... I've taken the input board out of the cabinet and snapped a couple of pictures.

Looks like a 3rd order crossover of some kind, which uses two capacitors and an inductor. The capacitors are 4 uF and 5 uF, while the coil is not marked.

The cabinet is rated at 4 ohms, and measures a nominal 3.0 ohms DC resistance. The impedance of the E-2700 tweeter is unknown, but measures 4.4 ohms DC resistance.

What would I need to change in order to get a 2.5 kHz crossover frequency?

Here are a couple of pictures of the crossover board:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. The higher the capacitance, the more charge that can accumulate on the plates, allowing a longer time between discharge == a lower-frequency signal. If that's the case, wouldn't increasing the cap value reduce the crossover value?

Of course, I got a C or C+ (don't remember which) in my analog circuits class in college, so take my opinion with a few pebbles of salt. :p :rolleyes:

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Everything. The tweeter is probably a nominal 8 ohm. I would go to a 4th order crossover for additional protection going to the lower frequency. You can get the component values required here:
    http://www.lalena.com/audio/calculator/xover/
    and the parts at Parts Express.

Yes. That's why a guitar player with twelves can part the hair of a woman five rows back on line with his cab, while you can't hear his highs while standing eight feet to the side of his amp.