Eden / underpowering myth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silentstranger, Aug 8, 2002.

1. So I found a used deal on some Eden gear...
    WT-500 (250w x2), $330
    D-410T (540w RMS), $330
    D-118XL (500w RMS), $350
    The amp (and cabs too, I believe) is a '95, and all are rather worn, but seem to work fine (and the Eden tone is freakin' sweet!). First off, I'm not too familiar with Eden resale value, are these prices good?

Secondly, since the head puts out 250w per side, it would seem that the cabs are underpowered in this rig...A call to Eden informed me that this isn't a problem, and a brief TB search supports this. This leads me to believe that the WT-500 would also be fine with a D-210XLT and D-115XLT (350w and 400w respectively), which I believe would better fit my sound (and vehicle). However, it occurred to me that the WT-800 might be a more ideal match, providing more power and less chance of clipping (correct me if I'm wrong about the clipping), and providing the opportunity to biamp if I choose. OTOH, I was thinking I might want to bridge into just the 210XLT for smaller gigs; would 800w be overkill here? Methinks it'd be fine if I didn't crank it, but y'all know a lot more about this than I do; this will be my first non-combo rig.

Sorry to be so wordy, I guess I like to type :rolleyes: Thanks for the help
  2. Prices are good, especially on the head and the 410--actually, I'd say excellent for both of those!
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's no such thing as underpowering a cab. There *is* such a thing as not having enough power to get the volume you need at your gig. If the 500 gets you as loud as you need to be while leaving you sufficient headroom and not working too hard (I don't know your playing situation), then you're not underpowered, by definition. It doesn't matter what the amp's power output is, or whether your cabs are rated higher. If your amp won't give you the volume you need without having to be cranked too high, then you're underpowered for your playing situation no matter how many watts your amp puts out or what your cabs are rated at.

The ratio of your amp's output to the cab's power handling capacity has absolutely no necessary relation to whether you clip or not. The issue is how high you have to turn up to get the output you need. It's one thing if you're doing a folkie coffeehouse gig, another if you're played hard rock for 2000 people.
  4. I don't know if this will help, but I would try it out in a loud situation before I bought it. I tried the 800 into two 4 ohm cabs, and found it not loud at all. It had nice tone, but I couldn't hear myself the way I wanted to, and no I wasn't on overkill with the enhance knob. I had a 400W Peavey that was louder at the time, and ended up going with a 360W Mesa boogie amp instead. Just a little something to let you think about.